Had my find X rayed

Chipk

Elite Member
I posted last week about a strange object I found that turned out to be a Victorian Lady's mesh coin purse. As I reported the top is hinged and when you open it, the neck can be expanded so a lady can drop coins, lipsticks, etc into the bag made of the mesh.

Someone asked if it was sterling and I reported that I had acid tested it and it showed 10K. I found several references to these bags on the Internet and they were indeed reported to be made of sterling. But it didn't look like silver and not quite like gold either although more gold-like than not.

So I took it to the best precious metals and antique buyers in town to ask their opinion. They were quite excited over it and said they would test it but they wouldn't scratch it but instead X-ray it.

They put it in a small metal box, closed the lid and pushed a button and in about 3 seconds it reported it was 98% silver, a bit of brass and the rest was gold, so it was gold plated. They said it was the first they had ever seen that was gold plated.

I was intrigued by the machine and jokingly said I wanted one. They informed me I could have one for only $27,000 plus the costs of programming. Maybe I should wait until I find a few more noteworthy items.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 2,301
That's cool . Were they able to give you an approximate value on it , not that it matter's , just curious . I've never seen one of those before .

Wow that is supercool that you had it X-rayed. 98% is better than .925 Big congratulations on your find and your x ray

wow that is a real cool find and backstory, I gotta admit I am a bit jealous, which I shouldn't be, because I have found some awesome stuff lately, well trying to say, "I LIKE IT". congrats!!

That is a cool little purse...good on ya for reporting back too...those XRF spectrometers are the bomb...I gotta metallurgist friend who has one, and they are handy, no dinking around with acid or the other methods we now employ...someday, they will be off the shelf items at walmart like a flashlight, or built right into our rigs so we dont have to dig tabs! :laughing:
Mud

That's cool . Were they able to give you an approximate value on it , not that it matter's , just curious . I've never seen one of those before .

Reading the post and seeing 27K in the next paragraph, I thought is was going to be worth the 27K!

Very unique purse, congratulations!

All I can say is WOW. Super nice little purse. EXCELLANT Find and Thanks for sharing.

Awesome find! , How did you get that to clean up so nice and how old is it?

It came out of the Florida sand almost that clean. The neck was packed with sand so I ran it through the faucet at home and rinsed it out good.

Saw one offered on the Internet. It was listed as being Victorian but that leaves it up to interpretation as to age. Someone said 1920s and I'd say that's probably a safe bet.

Very cool!
Looks like something a knight might use for a little added protection.

That is a cool little purse...good on ya for reporting back too...those XRF spectrometers are the bomb...I gotta metallurgist friend who has one, and they are handy, no dinking around with acid or the other methods we now employ...someday, they will be off the shelf items at walmart like a flashlight, or built right into our rigs so we dont have to dig tabs! :laughing:
Mud

If it wasn't for tabs some days I would dig nothing at all

Back
Top Bottom