Is it possible

woodbutcher

Forum Supporter
To make the cord longer on a pro coil ,so I can run the etrac without the weight.I've been thinking that maybe I could hipmount the control somehow. Has anyone ever seen anything like that,or know who could lengthen the pro coil wire?After running a freaken chainsaw all day ,my arms are beat.

Someone used to make a "kit" for a side mount on the Explorer. I had made my own and think I sill may have the coil cable extension cable.

I got a docs swingy thing,but it gets in the way.be nice if they sold a extension or something for the cord.yeah,it gets heavy ,and I'm not a weak person.Just wanna make it easier,that's all.

Undo toile the swingy thingy I got the detector buddy it wraps around your opposite shoulder around the back and and over your detector shoulder. It doesn't get in the way for me at all

I had a cord extension made for a Bounty Hunter 505 by a guy at a computer repair place. He got the correct wire and spliced in about a 4' section. I now have a hip mount 505. Wife's neck has an injury so any thing to limit weight helps. The setup works great and I haven't noticed any interference or loss of signal strength. The 505 is a metal finding machine.

Pete, you may try a 5 pin mic/cb extension cable. They come in all kinds of lengths with straight or coiled cables.

Pete, you may try a 5 pin mic/cb extension cable. They come in all kinds of lengths with straight or coiled cables.

Problem here is the Minelab Explorer coil cable is a "special" wire type. Two different size coaxial wires within the cable. Many have tried to make their own but could not find the correct cable to make it work properly.

Attachments

• Explorer Coil Cable.jpg
    Explorer Coil Cable.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 707
cable

Pretty sure my buddy got a cable from Coiltek...he used a X1..and cut it right after the switch...and it hangs right in front of him...on his chest..he can see numbers and flip x1 switch....pretty neat setup!

I checked into this a while back , there is no kit or extension made for it. Another problem brought up over at the geotech forum is that the AT pro has the wrong type of cable altogether , its not made for all the flexing and movement that happens with a separate mount setup. The cable will soon break on the inside. Atleast one person has found a way around this by replacing the whole cable with a different type that can handle the stress and they say it works , but then you have a chopped up Frankenstein version of a detector that could have many unforeseen problems develop over time.

Explorer coax cable

Problem here is the Minelab Explorer coil cable is a "special" wire type. Two different size coaxial wires within the cable. Many have tried to make their own but could not find the correct cable to make it work properly.

So Jeff... That's an Explorer's Coil cable dissected? So each of the 4 groups of individual wires in the coax go to their own spot/tab on the mic jack at the end of the coil's coiled cable? Hope you understand my question.

So Jeff... That's an Explorer's Coil cable dissected? So each of the 4 groups of individual wires in the coax go to their own spot/tab on the mic jack at the end of the coil's coiled cable? Hope you understand my question.

Yes.

This was cut from the cable of an old tan XS coil. But think the current ones are the same.

FBS cable

Yes.

This was cut from the cable of an old tan XS coil. But think the current ones are the same.

Thanks... Now I understand that there seems to be a lot more engineering and science, involved in a coil, at least the FBS ones, than I ever realized. That's a real eye opener for me. I thought all the engineering went into the windings itself, not so much the cable to the control box too... makes sense though now.

If you are still looking for e trac chest mount let me know i can send you pics of mine

Back
Top Bottom