SoCal super rare find plus silvers/wheats, and really cool dated medal.

GStout76

Forum Supporter
Hi everyone. I haven't posted in a while as I have had very limited time detecting was only able to get out for the 3rd time this year on Saturday, but boy was it a great hunt.

I met up with another friendly forum member SoCal Hopeless (Mike) for a day of detecting. We had talked a couple times about getting together and that he had just gotten his CTX and was really liking it as compared to his explorer. I'll let Mike talk about his weekend and what he found!

We went to one of my tried and true spots and it didn't disappoint. I found my oldest US coin an 1866 Shield Nickel (No date, but it has rays between the stars so I believe its 1866), 4 silvers, 16 wheats, an amazing Soccer medal date 1923 with its gold gilding still on, a silver ring, and several wad cutter style lead bullets.

The medal has engravings on the back and says: "Inner City League, 1923, A. Kettle, S.L." It looks like the person is kicking an old fashion style soccer ball and there is a goal in the back ground. So the S.L is probably for Soccer League.

It was a great day and I had fun detecting with Mike and his enthusiasm and friendly demeanor was an inspiration to me for someone that is 22. Thanks Mike for reminding me that there are still some good millenials out there that care for others and contributing to society instead of just taking and expecting everyone to give you something!

I also went out on Sunday to a park not far from my house and snagged another rosie and two wheats for a quick 2 hour hunt in the afternoon. The rain almost, yes almost, chased me away but it was nice to not be burning in the sun as usual here in SoCal.

Anyways, heres my finds:

Silver_Wheats.jpg

Ring_medal.jpg

ring_medal Back.jpg

Nickel 5.jpg

Nickel shield.jpg

Thanks for looking and I hope finding a super old shield nickel in SoCal is eyepopping enough to keep it in this section!

Greg

Great finds! A shield Nickel out there! Congratulations on those nice finds! I had no idea SoCal was only 22! He hunts and types like hes 60 or something!:laughing: By that I mean, he knows his stuff...I figured he has been at this Sport for a very long time! Great post and pics!
Mud

Thanks Mud. The fact that it was in a public park, no less, is what amazed me. All the hunters over the years passing over it and all that foot traffic.... I told Mike when I heard that signal, "This is a perfect nickel signal, maybe I'll get lucky and get a buffalo!" He said the look on my face was priceless when I said it was a shield nickel. Also, yes Mike is a really good dude and has a good spirit. I am glad to have made his acquaintance and hope to hunt with him again in the future.

Ricki - Out here, "Go to spots" are not our own by far. What it usually means is that oldies were found there, but there is soooooo much trash that other hunters may not be patient enough to look through it all. Thanks for looking.

Greg

I'll let Mike talk about his weekend and what he found!

It was a great day and I had fun detecting with Mike

Thanks for looking and I hope finding a super old shield nickel in SoCal is eyepopping enough to keep it in this section!

Greg

Greg it was was awesome to meet you, that was an awesome time & I was honored to watch that shield nickel come out of the ground, It's the oldest coin I've ever seen come out on a hunt, Period! Can't wait to hunt with you again.

For anyone that's curious what I found, I think maybe 6-8 wheat cents? some old bullets, same type Greg found, Not sure if we know the aprox. manufacture date yet? a small silver ring, and that's about it. Greg is the true expert with the CTX! :cool: maybe some day I can be in the same ball-park :p

Great finds! A shield Nickel out there! Congratulations on those nice finds! I had no idea SoCal was only 22! He hunts and types like hes 60 or something!:laughing: By that I mean, he knows his stuff...I figured he has been at this Sport for a very long time! Great post and pics!
Mud

That's really nice Mud, I am completely green and don't know what I'm doing!... Because I keep trying to learn new machines! Thanks for the kindness, you're the man.

I told Mike when I heard that signal, "This is a perfect nickel signal, maybe I'll get lucky and get a buffalo!" He said the look on my face was priceless when I said it was a shield nickel.

Greg

You did infact call a "Perfect Nickel Signal" so when I saw that look on your face I was thinking... "man. I don't think a V-Nick would warrant that look," and I didn't even consider a shield Nickel being possible.... I thought "Damn we're talking a gold coin here" :laughing:

that was really great to see man, congrats on the first year, mind blowing!

Mike

Yeah So-Cal,..those "Perfect Nickel" tight deep profiles haunt my dreams, thanks in large part to that damned massive gold coin GStouty found a few years back!..:laughing: Well, carry on Gentlemen, as you were...
Mud

Yeah So-Cal,..those "Perfect Nickel" tight deep profiles haunt my dreams, thanks in large part to that damned massive gold coin GStouty found a few years back!..:laughing: Well, carry on Gentlemen, as you were...
Mud

dude I cant even pick out deep mid tones. :laughing:

infact I'm sure I swung right over that shield nickel at some point, LOL

Shield nickels east of the mississippi may be as common as pulltabs. But here in CA that's a tough find. Congratz !

Ron - Thanks. I was elated to find it. Never crossed my mind to find one, let alone in a public park in California.

BR- Thank you.

Jason - Thanks, I hope you get on some ground old enough to find one!

Mike - Thanks, hopefully we can meet up in LA tomorrow after work. Sorry I can't get out this weekend, but Vegas is calling!

Mud - Hopefully, when I am back visiting my folks in Michigan we can meet up somewhere in the middle for some 'tectin.

Tom - Thanks, have you found any shield nickels in your old back pocket spots your hunting in? I think out here, shield nickels may be more rare than gold coins no?

Thanks again everyone.

Greg

Great going. I did my first park hunt yesterday...field of coins, but nuthing like what you pulled. Great job on the shield!!!

Wow :wow:what a awesome hunt You Two ,two rings and a buttload of old coins with a shield nickle as the cherry on top :yes::D congrats on the hunt shoot hit me up next time you guys meet up , would love to join in on a group hunt :D

Great hunt, Greg! I've still yet to find a shield nickel. Been near the top of the list for years. Congrats on a stellar outing and more importantly on making a new friend!

Back
Top Bottom