I just wondered what is the oldest "known" coin

ACANTHUS

In America
Also are you guys envious of us brits/europeans with our immense history
Also have any of you guys/girls detected in south america you know incas gold ect....

just wondering
from a british expat in france

That's not the oldest, just the oldest known penny. Are we talking official U.S.mint issue? Other state coins go back to the 1600's.

Your right bearbqd. I don't know If it's the American or World coin's he is talking about. A Brittish Coin called Coenwulf penny made of Gold was produced in London in 630 a.d. There are older coins produced before this but the Coenwulf is known.

Rhubarb

I think the oldest coins which turn up in the UK are Celtic Staters. These can date from around 60 bc.
I haven't found one yet.

Re: I just wondered what is the oldest "known" coi

ACANTHUS said:
In America
Also are you guys envious of us brits/europeans with our immense history
Also have any of you guys/girls detected in south america you know incas gold ect....

just wondering
from a british expat in france

I'm not :D I enjoy what I find everytime out...

I was meaning American coin

But wow!! 400,000 dollars for one coin thats a whole lot a coin huh??

I really did not know how much these things were worth i suppose i could hit lucky one day huh??

We don't all go out finding bucket loads of ancient finds, in the UK
:(

I've only found two Roman coins, and they are very worn. From what I've seen on here, you find a lot more in the US.

The hobby is what you make of it, if it's a nice summer's day, and I'm out on a field with a group of club mates, it's doesn't really worry me if I don't find a lot. ( which is often the case) :yes:

Hello alan i am english and was born in london and brought up in essex but now have left england for the south west of france to have a family in the countryside

I am really an essex boy at heart

ACANTHUS said:
Hello alan i am english and was born in london and brought up in essex but now have left england for the south west of france to have a family in the countryside

I am really an essex boy at heart

Very nice, I was born in East London (many, many years ago :lol: )

It'll be interesting to hear what sort of finds you make out there.
I was at an event in Colchester museum a while back, which was opened by Bill Wyman. He was talking about detecting on his property in France. He found a couple of lovely silver coins, which he later found out were reproductions given away by a petrol company !

Back
Top Bottom