I recovered the dates on 3 Buffalo nickels

jim/boston

In the last couple of weeks I have found 3 Buffalo nickels but all were unreadable dates:?: A friend suggested Nic a Date to restore the dates. I looked it up and found it is Ferric Chloride; I happen to work in a laboratory and actually have that chemical on hand...so today I tried it out and it worked! The pics don't show it as clear as in person; but I clearly have 2 1920's and a 1919:grin:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

go to my album for the before pics

http://metaldetectingforum.com/album.php?albumid=1834

Excellent! Good for you :) Makes me want to buy those dateless buffs in bulk!

Good job - I had a bunch of worn smooth buffaloes (from circulation) and bought a bottle of Nic-a-date. It does work, I was able to see a date on every one. Unfortunately, as a coin collector they are still worthless as far as I'm concerned. Date is just too fuzzy, doesn't look natural.

Last year, I soaked a dateless buffalo I found in white vinegar overnight. By morning the date was there. Left the finish a little dull, but at least I got the satisfaction of knowing the date and the price of white vinegar beats Nic-a-Date.

Nic-a-Date is the bomb. I've been using it for years now. You only need put it on the date though, not the whole coin.

Nic-a-Date is the bomb. I've been using it for years now. You only need put it on the date though, not the whole coin.

Yup I was using that stuff as a kid back in the early 1960's....buffs were more common then.....

Dusty

Back
Top Bottom