Etrac large coils. + apologies.

Ive found barbers 3" deep, you never know on the depths. We always think older coins are way down there, and in some parks they might be where fill has been added, but sites that the ground has remained undisturbed, sometimes coins just don't sink, or Ive read some posts suggesting that coins can get pushed up from freezing ground.......who knows.
The oldest coin Ive ever found is a Spanish reale, its a small bugger, found it in an old orchard that was in use back in the 1700s and is overgrown now.
I only hunt it in winter due to ticks but its also a tough place because of the brambles everywhere, they snag on to coil cables, your clothes, a real pain.
Anyways that reale was only a couple of inches deep also, but it had a lot of iron around it which is Im guessing why no one found it before me.

You should be able to get a barber dime at 13" with the 10X12 SEF.....at least in the soil around here. The biggest coil Ive used is the WOT and that didn't give more depth than the 10X12 SEF, just larger coverage which is also gonna translate into more masking. And even when you think your in a non trashy area, you don't know whats in the ground.....so that find of a lifetime could be sitting next to a big ole piece of iron or ? and the smaller coil is gonna see while you walk right over it with the larger coil.
For me, anything over 12" is overkill and I find actually the best overall size is what manufacturers put on machines years ago, about an 8" size coil. I think manufacturers only went to the larger coil sizes as a response to cries for more depth.....but your giving up separation and adding more masking possibilities.
HH
Neil
Im thinking 'halo' effect has something to do with it. I buried a Mercury dime at 8", and two different Etracs with 10X12 SEF coils running wide open could barely see that dime.

Im thinking 'halo' effect has something to do with it. I buried a Mercury dime at 8", and two different Etracs with 10X12 SEF coils running wide open could barely see that dime.
IMO (FWIW), your scenario is more reflective of disturbed ground matrix than any imagined "halo" effect. Especially with silver, the amount of metal that can possibly leach into the surrounding soil would be so minimal that there wouldn't be any "halo" to speak of.
Iron and zinc will eventually dissolve in soil (especially in wet conditions), but higher value objects made of silver and gold don't, so they really aren't capable of producing a "halo" the same as the stuff we typically look at as junk.

IMO (FWIW), your scenario is more reflective of disturbed ground matrix than any imagined "halo" effect. Especially with silver, the amount of metal that can possibly leach into the surrounding soil would be so minimal that there wouldn't be any "halo" to speak of.
Iron and zinc will eventually dissolve in soil (especially in wet conditions), but higher value objects made of silver and gold don't, so they really aren't capable of producing a "halo" the same as the stuff we typically look at as junk.
Thanks, good point.

Never thought of it in that manner ! However, this seems to be dead on to the "Halo"effect. Especially in my acidic soil when digging Lincolns and/or iron that are crusty and nearly eaten through leaving the soil around them discolored from copper or iron rust. While Silver comes out shiny. Good Post, thanks.

Never thought of it in that manner ! However, this seems to be dead on to the "Halo"effect. Especially in my acidic soil when digging Lincolns and/or iron that are crusty and nearly eaten through leaving the soil around them discolored from copper or iron rust. While Silver comes out shiny. Good Post, thanks.
If you're talking about zinc Lincolns ('83+), then it's not the copper being leached.
I've got some serious clay soil (clay is all acidic), and as crusty as I've seen some coppers (in the ground 150yrs+) I've never seen one even close to being eaten through.

Back
Top Bottom