CTX input

Trashfinder

Forum Supporter
I posted in another thread about Etrac or Ctx. I went with the CTX. I have been hunting a 20 x 20 foot section of yard that is surrounded by concrete on all 4 sides. I have hunted this with several brands of detectors. I am trying to see if i can find something they left behind.

I am running open screen, combined ferrous coin, fast off, deep on, pitch hold , auto sens. A few times i have been watching the screen and i hear iron tone, and see a target in the lower right , but also see a target in the 12-42 range , but no high tone. I decided to dig one, and found a screw and a nail but no good target. I watched a video by RattleHead i saw he had two targets on the screen but was getting a high tone on the good one. My question is am i set up right? And do you only dig if you get the high tone and good target cursor? Am i seeing just some kind of false signal?

A couple suggestions,,,

Sounds like you are set up right,,,,

When you sweep your coil,,,how consistent does the tone come in??

And what happens when you pivot and sweep??

And what happens when you pinpoint,,does it pinpoint exactly where it comes in tone wise in hunt mode,,,if it doesn't,,say it is off say 2-4" ,,,likely iron.

Some screws,,and stainless steel bolts and screws will be dug at times,,and will provide some good tone.

Even some nails will fool you too.

But with practice you'll figure it out moreso.

I have dug some targets,,,mostly low conductors in iron pits,,,only thingI had to go on,,was tone--- the screen didn't give me any hints of a nonferrous target.

Hope this helps.

The ID numbers will jump around a lot if you're running an open screen. Having FAST ON also makes the TID more jumpy. I pay more attention to sound than anything else.. If I get a blip of a high tone, I circle the target making very tiny movements with the coil to see if I can get it to repeat. Even a broken repeater can be a good target mixed with iron. Target Trace can also give you some valuable clues when its iron mixed with a good target. If you see good numbers, but no hint of a trace dot building in the area for those numbers or just a scattered trace, chances are its just falsing iron or a bunch of small bits of iron together. Thats not always the case since Target Trace is much less accurate on deeper targets but its usually a good indicator. To help rule out falsing iron, pay attention to where the target pinpoints. A good target should pinpoint in the same location that you heard the high tone. Falsing iron will usually pinpoint off to the side.

Attached below is one of my patterns that works very well when hunting in heavy iron if you want to try it out. Its basically a combination of two popular patterns: Tadpole and Trashy Park. I call it "Trashy-Pole". :lol:

It will knock out most of the annoying small iron in the bottom righthand corner so that your target ID isn't so jumpy. It also knocks out everything on the back side of nickels. You will miss some tiny rings or other small jewelry, but the trade off is that it gets rid of most small foil and other junk items. Even though the right hand side of the nickel notch is open, you'll still be able to ID nickels by the tone due to the way the bins are set up.

Using Ferrous-Coin separation, the machine tries to push good targets toward the 12 line, but I leave the upper right side open so that I will still get large silvers if I decide to switch to High Trash.

For the 2nd pattern I just run the standard "Trashy Park". It may seem backwards to run more DISC on the 2nd pattern but the reason I do it is this:
Like mentioned before, the more open your pattern the more jumpy your TID will be when hunting in trashy areas.. Having a second pattern with more discrimination lets you quickly switch over and stabilize a jumpy TID.

Settings are:
Mode: Combined
Separation: Ferrous-Coin
Response: Normal
Fast: ON
Deep: OFF
Seawater: OFF

Using this pattern and moving at a snails pace, I've been able to pull some nice coins out of extremely trashy areas.

You'll have to experiment to see what works best for you, but maybe this will be helpful in getting started.

Attachments

• trashy-pole.JPG
    trashy-pole.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 178
  • trashy-pole-bins.JPG
    trashy-pole-bins.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 359
Thanks guys, the one i dug, i did find the screw and the nail off to the side of the spot i pinpointed. On that one i never could get a two way signal in any direction i swung the coil. But i run zero disc and dig everything that is not iron on my Deus and other machines, so i decided to dig it anyway to maybe learn a little from it. My tone bin is not set up that way and i would like some higher tones so i will try that out.

I will keep that in mind on the open pattern = more jumpy TID and set my other pattern with some disc to see if the target cursor is still stable. Gonna make some adjustments and hit it again!

I run an open screen too...although on the beach. I am using a combined tone mode so that all of the iron rings very low so its easy to pick out. I dig everything above that line for the most part...on the dry beach near the trash cans I might avoid foil and such but its all by tone and number. I would like to hear it and then decide if I want to avoid it or not. As far as your settings...get out of auto sensitivity. Go to manual and see if you can get higher. One thing I am noticing is that on clad and rings I usually get very solid tones and target trace is showing a nice circle object. On items like a bottle cap I get more of a low/high choppy tone and target trace is all over the place. I only have about 40 hours on the machine at this point so I am still very new to it.

Back
Top Bottom