Looking to get my first detector

I think I'm going to go with the f22 especially since I don't have to worry about being near water with it. Then maybe once I get into more I think I'll spring for a garret pro or whites mx sport.

No doubt about it, if I had to start all over again as a 'greenie' and I only had $300 dollars to spend I would first purchase a Garrett Pro Pointer. It's no fun at all detecting without one. With the remaining money I'd purchase a good used Tesoro Silver µMax for around $175. It has one of the best user ratings of all the detectors for good reason.

beephead

No doubt about it, if I had to start all over again as a 'greenie' and I only had $300 dollars to spend I would first purchase a Garrett Pro Pointer. It's no fun at all detecting without one. With the remaining money I'd purchase a good used Tesoro Silver µMax for around $175. It has one of the best user ratings of all the detectors for good reason.

beephead
I'll admit I was looking at the tesoro detectors I see they are high quality lifetime warranty but cant really find out if the coil is water proof. Also I cant decide between a screen or not. I'm looking for something to do on the beach on vacation too. I mean I don't min holding off on a pin pointer because I need a scoop for the sand. I guess I have more research to do before deciding is the compadre any good or should I just go for the umax I was leaning towards the f22.

I'm always so indecisive when it comes to buying something lol. So narrowed it down to two contenders the Fisher f22 and the Tesoro silver Umax. I'm sure what ever one I pick I will enjoy using and maybe fall in love with detecting. Still going to wait until May to make my final decision.

I'll admit I was looking at the tesoro detectors I see they are high quality lifetime warranty but cant really find out if the coil is water proof. Also I cant decide between a screen or not. I'm looking for something to do on the beach on vacation too. I mean I don't min holding off on a pin pointer because I need a scoop for the sand. I guess I have more research to do before deciding is the compadre any good or should I just go for the umax I was leaning towards the f22.

All Tesoro coils are waterproof. Use at your own risk though. I don't know if their lifetime warranty covers water damage. You might want to ask.

I hunt with both Tesoros AND Fishers.
I can't tell you how much fun each kind is to use and hunt with...in different ways.
I have always stated that hunting with a Tesoro that has no screen has benefits that will last a lifetime if and when you learn what hunting by sound using aural clues and manipulating the disc knob and using other techniques really teaches you.
No matter what some believe these things are way beyond just "beep and dig" machines and can help you become a better hunter in the future no matter what you decide is your favorite type of tool...even the many great ones that have screens.

However when you are brand spanking new you need to learn the basics.
It isn't hard and even though some might have some frustration learning these things, digging empty holes, telling false signals from real and so on, this phase usually doesn't last long and we all go through it because it is a natural progression in this hobby.
Knowing what I know now I really believe that learning these basics is way more easier and a much faster process if you first start out using a unit with a screen.
The sounds are still important when using screen units but you have the extra information of the screen data that can help in this learning process.
The smart ones and most successful hunters in this hobby know that all info you see on the screen and hear in your headphones are just indicators and the real skill comes in taking it all in and taking educated guesses about what the coil is really scanning and what your detector is trying to tell you about that target....this is called learning the language and all detectors have a language.
Believing anything any detector tells you on the screen or in the audio clues 100% is never recommended, the only way to know what you are truly scanning is to dig it and hold it in your hot little hand, but that is the real fun about doing this hobbby...getting better and better at making those educated guesses before you dig and finding out you are right after you dig it.
Being surprised is also a fantastic part of the hobby too, by the way, dig up a pull tab and find gold instead is one of the best things that can happen to you, but this is a rare thing and mostly we must learn to tell the good but more mundane type of targets like coins from trash...and there is way more trash out there than good targets as you will see.
A unit with a screen and very helpful and informative VDI numbers can help you out more than you realize right now with all of this and learning those basics in a more efficient way.
I used an F2 for years and did well, the F22 is a new generation unit which I would love to experience and would be my recommendation to use as your first and to learn on.
It probably won't be your last, most of us upgrade eventually and add more to our arsenals along with other accessories like different coils, but you will know way more about this hobby, the tools we use and yourself before you even need to think about purchasing your next one.
I also believe that any hunter that doesn't have at least a Compadre in their arsenal is crazy because that is a surprisingly productive, efficient and fun tool to stand behind but the Fisher should be able to find enough coins to get you one fairly quickly if you still want a Tesoro and many of us use both kinds...I am not the only one.

Your first detector is an important one and never an easy choice when you are new without all the information that veterans have but you are doing it the right way by asking for advice and weighing your options.
Soon enough you will have something in your hands and will begin this wonderful hobby that might end up to be a lifelong passion.
Choose wisely and then don't look back and vow to learn your tools as best as you possibly can and you can be nothing but successful if you do.

I hunt with both Tesoros AND Fishers.
I can't tell you how much fun each kind is to use and hunt with...in different ways.
I have always stated that hunting with a Tesoro that has no screen has benefits that will last a lifetime if and when you learn what hunting by sound using aural clues and manipulating the disc knob and using other techniques really teaches you how to hunt using only sound.
No matter what some believe these things are way beyond just "beep and dig" machines and can help you become a better hunter in the future no matter what you decide is your favorite type of tool...even the many great ones that have screens.

However when you are brand spanking new you need to learn the basics.
It isn't hard and even though some might have some frustration learning these things, digging empty holes, telling false signals from real and so on, this phase usually doesn't last long and we all go through it because it is a natural progression in this hobby.
Knowing what I know now I really believe that learning these basics is way more easier and a much faster process if you first start out using a unit with a screen.
The sounds are still important when using screen units but you have the extra information of the screen data that can help in this learning process.
The smart ones and most successful hunters in this hobby know that all info you see on the screen and hear in your headphones are just indicators and the real skill comes in taking it all in and taking educated guesses about what the coil is really scanning and what your detector is trying to tell you about that target....this is called learning the language and all detectors have a language.
Believing anything any detector tells you on the screen or in the audio clues 100% is never recommended, the only way to know what you are truly scanning is to dig it and hold it in your hot little hand, but that is the real fun about doing this hobbby...getting better and better at making those educated guesses before you dig and finding out you are right after you dig it.
Being surprised is also a fantastic part of the hobby too, by the way, dig up a pull tab and find gold instead is one of the best things that can happen to you, but this is a rare thing and mostly we must learn to tell the good but more mundane type of targets like coins from trash...and there is way more trash out there than good targets as you will see.
A unit with a screen and very helpful and informative VDI numbers can help you out more than you realize right now with all of this and learning those basics in a more efficient way.
I used an F2 for years and did well, the F22 is a new generation unit which I would love to experience and would be my recommendation to use as your first and to learn on.
It probably won't be your last, most of us upgrade eventually and add more to our arsenals along with other accessories like different coils, but you will know way more about this hobby, the tools we use and yourself before you even need to think about purchasing your next one.
I also believe that any hunter that doesn't have at least a Compadre in their arsenal is crazy because that is a surprisingly productive, efficient and fun tool to stand behind but the Fisher should be able to find enough coins to get you one fairly quickly if you still want a Tesoro and many of us use both kinds...I am not the only one.

Your first detector is an important one and never an easy choice when you are new without all the information that veterans have but you are doing it the right way by asking for advice and weighing your options.
Soon enough you will have something in your hands and will begin this wonderful hobby that might end up to be a lifelong passion.
Choose wisely and then don't look back and vow to learn your tools as best as you possibly can and you can be nothing but successful if you do.
Thank you for the information it really helped me make my final decision I think. I really appreciate it.

You mentioned using the md on the beach while on vacation. On thing to take into account is saltwater. Most land MD's have issues being stable around the salt water.

You mentioned using the md on the beach while on vacation. On thing to take into account is saltwater. Most land MD's have issues being stable around the salt water.
Yea I know I was going to use it in dry sand. I watched a video of the f22 in the sand it looks like it works well.

Well f22 it is I know I said I would wait until spring for the whites mx sport to see how much it is well way out of what I want to spend. Just waiting for my birthday now lol.

I was going to purchase my detector today because of all the deals kellyco was having but the f22 isn't an option and started making me second guess my decision on detector since I'll be in the Outer banks 3 weeks now. Such a hard decision buying my first detector since I usually have buyers remorse if I'm not happy with it lol. :shrug:

But new with discount

I'm looking to get my first metal detector. I want something that would be good on the beach and in the dirt. I'm looking to buy a used one I would love a waterproof one but I'll wait and see if I'm committed before I buy a at pro. I was looking to spend around $300 or less on a used one. Just looking for some models that would be good maybe with a waterproof coil.

You need a warranty for your AT-pro
call me if you have any questions
dennis

My suggestion is you look at the ace series from Garrett. They are around your budget and the best part is if you decide to go and upgrade to an ATPro you will be able to be pretty proficient with it the first time out. I started down this road with an ace 350. Absolutely loved it. It paid for itself in just a couple months. Then it paid for my first excalibur. The rest is history.

Matt

Back
Top Bottom