New to hobby, some questions for the experts!

NYCitySlicker

Hello everyone. I'm brand new to this hobby (like newer than a newbie if you can imagine that)... I had a cheap MD as a kid and remember having a lot of fun. Other than that I have no experience... I've been reading forums and reviews for 2 weeks trying to decide what to get. I didn't have a huge budget but I finally pulled the trigger this morning on a new Fisher F22. I figured it has enough features to get me going and if I get really into it I can always upgrade. A big selling point was being able to go hunting in the rain... Hopefully I made the right choice.
Part of what was holding me back from buying a MD was where I live... I'm located in Queens, NYC... I was wondering if anyone is located near me? I'll have to drive a few miles out onto Long Island to find some spots to hunt... Does anyone here live in a major city? I feel like I'm at a disadvantage due to my location. I grew up in rural Connecticut where there were hundreds of spots to metal detect. I guess I'll just have to work a little harder being in a city to find good spots to hunt.
Anyway, if anyone has any advice for me I'd really appreciate it. Also, can anyone recommend a good pin pointer in the $50-100 range? Also what other tools should I be purchasing?
Thanks in advance. I love seeing all the cool finds you guys post!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello everyone. I'm brand new to this hobby (like newer than a newbie if you can imagine that)... I had a cheap MD as a kid and remember having a lot of fun. Other than that I have no experience... I've been reading forums and reviews for 2 weeks trying to decide what to get. I didn't have a huge budget but I finally pulled the trigger this morning on a new Fisher F22. I figured it has enough features to get me going and if I get really into it I can always upgrade. A big selling point was being able to go hunting in the rain... Hopefully I made the right choice.
Part of what was holding me back from buying a MD was where I live... I'm located in Queens, NYC... I was wondering if anyone is located near me? I'll have to drive a few miles out onto Long Island to find some spots to hunt... Does anyone here live in a major city? I feel like I'm at a disadvantage due to my location. I grew up in rural Connecticut where there were hundreds of spots to metal detect. I guess I'll just have to work a little harder being in a city to find good spots to hunt.
Anyway, if anyone has any advice for me I'd really appreciate it. Also, can anyone recommend a good pin pointer in the $50-100 range? Also what other tools should I be purchasing?

I use the Garret carrot pinpointer, a little more pricey but we'll worth it in my book...a good quality digging tool is a must also...check out Lesche and treasure wise....other than that, headphones are also highly recommend

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

there has to be old schools and parks there

Welcome to the best hobby on earth. You have a good detector, now start out by getting a nail pouch apron(cloth or canvas-you need something to put finds both good & bad in), and something to extract your find without leaving a trace. With that chore done, go to your local library and check out The Urban Treasure Hunter, by Michael Chapman. Start reading and start searching.

Enjoy.

Love my black PP. haven't tried the carrot yet but if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
You'll love the black PP as it goes deep, about 3 inches on average

PP is a must for me ,the locations , soil conditions your hunting is a big factor for what you need . Learn the MD , research digging plugs , add equiptment as needed . Good luck
HH

I ended up getting the black Garrett pin pointer. What's the difference between the black Garrett and the orange one?

A Garett pro pointer AT , And a leshe diggin tool , I went threw a couple cheaper pinpointers and digging tools along the way. If you can do it just get the right stuff the first time because most of the rest end up in the trash.
The extra sensitivity on the carrot( Orange ) is very handy as the first thing I do now is hit the serface for the shallower stuff right away with that pro pointer .
It's handy to have the extra sensitivity or range of an extra inch or two. Less diggin:) . My two cents .
Your gonna have a blast , Dew

Back
Top Bottom