Cache under tree?

Texas Rookie

Hello everyone. This is my first post.:grin:

I have a very large Sugarberry/Hackberry tree in my back yard. I have had several people say that the tree is approximately 100 years old. I got my first MD, a coinmaster, recently and am quite new to it all. I was getting a fairly strong quarter read about 6 inches deep. After I dug a few inches, I found the top of a rusty metal can. I was still getting my original signal, but the problem is, that there is a large tree root above it. Should I keep digging? It's turning into a construction site. Lol.
My theory is that the tree root went through the can and forced the top of the can closer to the surface, while the rest of the can is below it.

Well it's your property; I would use caution not to damage the roots as to kill the tree. Go as deep as your curiosity will take you. Good Luck :cool:

I would keep going for sure. Use the right tools and you will get the job done quickly and correctly. Let us know how you make out. GL and HH. Matt

Chances are it is an empty metal can but you never know until you dig it out. I was getting quarter/dime signals on my etrac last night in a super trashy park and everytime it was a can lid or pop can buried deep. I hope you do find a cache though!

After further digging with my hand, (it had become to narrow and small for my trowel) I came to soft, fine clay. I did find an old wire and I no longer got my signal. I wasn't picking up the wire because I was set to the highest discrimination. I was also no longer getting my original quarter signal. :(
I have given up.

After further digging with my hand, (it had become to narrow and small for my trowel) I came to soft, fine clay. I did find an old wire and I no longer got my signal. I wasn't picking up the wire because I was set to the highest discrimination. I was also no longer getting my original quarter signal. :(
I have given up.

Get used to the disappearing signal, it happens all the time to me. Not sure about everyone else though. I would rather dig a can then have the signal disappear.:mad:

Kudos to your for following thru on your target. Now you know for sure you didn't miss anything valuable. GL and HH. Matt

Holds true!

About 10 years ago I found a lid off a broken mason jar under a huge oak tree. Upon checking the hole again with my cheapo whites detector, I found one silver dollar. Being the somewhat rookie I was, I happened to check the area again.... the next day... and found two more. So then I started looking diligently and eventually found 32 all together in 3 days!! Needless to say I was hooked in the hobby and have been enjoying it ever sense. I never...NEVER... walk pass an old tree without checking it twice!! lol
Congrats... be safe and good hunting. Roger, NE TX

Roger...stories like yours make me want to go detect every large tree in town immediately! haha....do you have any pictures? What was the date spread on the dollars?

Back
Top Bottom