Does battery effect detector?

Armistead

How do you guys feel about the actual strengh of your battery effecting your detector? Say specs give you 40 hours, so at 30 hours your battery starts showing low on your meter, does it effect your detector, depth, etc.? Just wonder if you lose any power, function, etc as your battery wears out. I have a friend that swears it effects his depth and he'll change battery at 50% usuage.

Most digital detectors run at a voltage much lower than fresh betteries supply. So no effect other than some will lower volume or disable speakers at low voltage to save drain.
Basically it will run or be dead.

Now analog machines like Tesoro's can have decrease performance the last 30 min of charge. Not all though.

One anology is old analog tv broadcast and new digital broadcast. Analog you could get some picture with snow, digital it perfect picture or nothing whether signal is high or marginal.

I can tell you my AT Pro will be fully funtional right up till the batteries are dead. I used to worry when the battery indicator got down to one bar, but I kept them in to see what would happen until it made it's dead battery sound and shut off;and I had just dug a dime at 8". I always carry a spare set of batteries with me, so now I just wait till the detector dies before changing them without fear of losing depth. I know some detectors do lose some functionality when batteries get to a certain level;but not the AT Pro!

It's a simple device with no systems that would need for example half of the batteries for just few hours of work. But yes, as the instructions say at half way you should have spare batteries on stand by...
With these kind of devices at very low energy you will get drastic changes like: low contrast on screen icons and bars, cracking sounds when detecting etc.
At this point or in case the detector shuts down itself, DO NOT turn it on again! Very important especially with rechargeable batteries because you will kill them. There's no turning back except replacing or recharging them - or else they won't recharge fully never ever again.

Depends on what machine you have. I copied this out of the X-Terra Guide written by Randy Horton:

Some detector makes and models use an unregulated battery voltage
for transmission. This results in a loss of detection depth as the battery
discharges. Not so with the X-TERRA. The X-TERRAs are capable of using
1.5 volt AA alkaline, 1.5 volt AA carbon, 1.5 volt AA non-rechargeable
lithium, 1.2 volt AA NiMH rechargeable or 1.2 volt AA NiCad rechargeable
batteries.
Regardless of which type of cells you use, know that the internal voltage
of the X-TERRA is regulated all the time. As such, you can keep detecting
with your X-TERRA until the batteries are used up, without any loss of
performance. However, I’ve found that the initial reading on the battery
indicator does not reflect the true battery life. I suggest you let your
X-TERRA operate for a few minutes, then check the indicator again to get
a better estimate of the remaining battery life.
When you are out detecting, feel confident that you don’t have to
change a set of batteries until they run completely out. But as a matter
of convenience, I’d recommend carrying a set of four matching AA cells in
your pouch for when they do finally run out. Otherwise it could be long
walk back to the truck!

batteries are like gas tank

if your car only ran with a full tank it would be useless.most metal detectors operate at say 6 volts yet when you put a new 9 volt battery in it will have 9.6 volts.through the electronics it is reduced to 6 volts for operation.when the battery finally gets down close to 6 volts your tank or battery is empty.

Detectors have voltage regulators in them. What that voltage is regulated is to varies between manufacturers. The specific voltage is just one of those small technical details usually not shared by manufacturers. The bottom line is the detector's owners manual will have a section for battery information and recommendations for replacement. Your detector will 'tell you' when it's power supply is too low to continue. Recharge or replace your batteries before that happens. The when is your decision and your choice. HH

The power metering might not be all that accurate, just an indication of where you stand. It would be a very poor/cheap design, if low battery had any actual effect on function. But, we all know luck, plays a role in successful hunting. We can have a really advanced/expensive machine, do all kinds of research, but when it gets down to the swinging and digging, we might not find much to brag about. Where luck comes into play, so do a lot of subjective an superstitious thoughts and actions. The machine should work the same down to the last bar, the point where it starts acting weird or shuts off, can happen anytime after.

Yeah, rechargeable batteries prefer being charged, over completely drained, should swap them out sooner. The number of charge cycles on the package doesn't really mean much outside the lab, marketing maybe. Really depends on how deeply you drain them, before charging, how long you leave them sitting around, before charging them, type of charger you use. Most all rechargeable batteries last longer, if used and charged regularly.

Detectors have voltage regulators in them. What that voltage is regulated is to varies between manufacturers. The specific voltage is just one of those small technical details usually not shared by manufacturers. The bottom line is the detector's owners manual will have a section for battery information and recommendations for replacement. Your detector will 'tell you' when it's power supply is too low to continue. Recharge or replace your batteries before that happens. The when is your decision and your choice. HH

This is pretty much what I have read for the last few years. When I get down to one bar or a couple of beeps, the batteries are changed. Unless an individual is working fields etc., the clad found between battery changes should keep one in battery money many times over anyway. My old ACE 250 would chatter and die just as my 2000mah Duracell rechargables drained off the last bar, or close to it. But I always had a freshly charged back up set for it.

Back
Top Bottom