One detector picked it up, the other did not...

Bill_Ace_350

Elite Member
I was hunting my yard last night, and had both detectors with me. My primary detector is my Ace 350, and I have a Bounty Hunter Lonestar as a backup. Wanted to learn the Bounty Hunter better, so I would swing that, and if i got a hit, I would check it against the Ace.

I had the Bounty Hunter in Auto Notch, with discrimination at 2 o'clock at max sensitivity, and the Ace in Jewelry mods, sensitivity 2 under max.

Got a strong, repeatable signal on the Bounty Hunter, high note. Turned it off and grabbed the Garrett. Swung over the same spot. Nothing. Tried it from different angles, still nothing. Increased the sensitivity to max and tried again, still nothing. Tried the Bounty Hunter again, got the signal and pinpointed. Turned out it was a 1983 penny, probably 1 inch deep.

Any ideas as to why the Garrett didn't signal?

Have to guess, pennies aren't jewelry, or even close to what you set the Garrett to look for. Don't have a Garrett detector, and after the ProPointer, not really thrilled with the brand name. At one inch, pretty much any detector should see the penny, even my Centech pinpoiter.

Yea I have to agree, why not have the Ace in a Coin mode? It could have been the penny was notched out just shy of what the penny WOULD have rang in at. If the Ace rings a penny in on jewelry mode just by air testing it is completely different than if it were in the ground, Coin mode gives the detector the give in both directions to allow for the difference. I would have tried the Ace in Coin or All Metal.

HH,
Rich

Next time try the pinpointer on the ACE and see if you find it. If you do, then you have the target discriminated out. Or as others have said try the coin or all metal mode (which is what you are doing when you use the pinpointer).

Appreciate the responses. I had both machines set in their respective jewelry settings. The Ace does not discriminate pennies in jewelry mode. Just wondering why it couldn't detect this particular coin. Have found pennies, nickels, dimes and qaurters in jewelry mode.

Kind of makes me wonder what targets I may have missed in the past, or if it was just a fluke.

I agree the 350 should have went nuts on a 1" penny. (In any mode except custom with it notch out... Makes me wonder also:?:
Maybe it saw passed it, turn down the sens. :shrug:
Maybe the coil just missed it?
Bad batts.
Call Garrett, and pick there brain... GL

No clue why the Garrett missed it.

Have you rescanned in zero discriminate, to see if there is any ferrous masking goin on?

Regardless, is keep up the testing.

kinda has me worried....do an air test with the same batteries and settings to see what happens...look forward to your response.

Back
Top Bottom