Finding deep, crusty copper with the E-Trac

StinkinZincoln

I found my deepest coin yet with my E-Trac today. Being that I'm still fairly new to this machine, it was pretty exciting, so I would like to share the details and hopefully help out some of my fellow new E-Trac users :cool:

I was hunting a small area on my property along the road. I've been over this area at least a dozen times, and it has given me a few Wheaties and modern junk coins. This was my first day trying out some new settings. First, I cut out some of the discrimination from the Minelab factory coin program. I switched to manual sensitivity at 25 instead of my usual auto +3. Finally, I rejected the entire conductive 50 line. This helps a lot with eliminating unwanted falsing noise (which you will get lots of running in manual 25 and leaving the 50 line open). It's still noisier than it was, but it's tolerable. Knocking out 50 won't hurt a thing, but you definitely want to leave 49 and below open. Unless you don't like big silver :p

Now, how did it work? I hit a scraggly-sounding high tone with ferrous numbers all over the place. The conductive numbers bounced a bit, too, but stayed within a range of 36 to 43. I thought to myself "No way will I get this to repeat", but repeat it did! Same weak tone, but it was unmistakably the same one. The depth meter was reading about 10", so erratic numbers are to be expected. The tone is what kept me interested in this target.

Almost ready to dig it... To be sure, I gave it the Quickmask check. The cursor bounced nicely into the conductive range as I swung over the target. This is an awesome feature of this detector. Junk iron can give you these same types of tones and signals and drive you nuts. Switch over to Quickmask, and if the cursor stays in the bottom right corner, junk iron it is. If it hops up into the conductive range, dig it. I'm digging a LOT less iron junk on false signals since I learned to use this feature :grin:

OK, so we have: Repeatable signal (albeit weak), good conductive number range, QM iron check OK, let's dig it! Nine inches down, out popped a bright green 1919 Wheatie. I was hoping it would be an Indian, but an old Wheatie is OK with me any day. It was a fun learning experience for me, and also proved that my new settings have helped accomplish my goal of finding the tough ones deep. I hope this helps someone grow to love their E-Trac a little more.

Thanks for the heads up. I got my etrac in March of this year and have really enjoyed using it this year. I am a fan of TTF, I dug an 11 inch deep 1909 wheatie with my etrac with several nails in the same hole. The quickmask is a great feature and will save you from digging a lot of junk. I'm pretty certain I'll never need another detector...although I do have a couple others, this etrac has a lot more power than a person can figure out how to use in a season or two. I have done well with mine so far, and look forward to when i "really" know how to get the most out of it. Happy Hunting!

LittleJohn

Thanks, LJ. I'm just starting to experiment with TTF. I like the tone separation, it really brings out conductive signals that could easily be missed among heavy iron junk.

I'm still learning and tweaking settings, and probably will be for the next few years, too. The more I learn, the more I like :D

Good observations but I would only block out -35 on that top line...I'm told silver dollars ring up 1-40 or there abouts and I've seen large cents hit right near the top right corner, though LC's usually ring up 12-47/48 or so. It sounds like your quickly learning the E-trac though so I'd bet you have some great finds in your future. Good luck and thanks for sharing.

Thanks, Scott. With the CO 50 line blocked, I'll still pick up the 01-40s and all of the conductive 48s and 49s. The Minelab pre-set coin program had more of the top right blacked out, and I opened it all up except for the 50 spot. Have you ever hit anything good that rang up at 50 on the conductive side? I don't want to miss any goodies, but that shrill screeching was driving me nuts, and I've seen a few other guys who blocked just the 50 line to lessen it.

I hit another target tonight that rang up just like the crusty Wheatie did. Ferrous #s everywhere, and that same 36-43 conductive range. I got a nice little brass or maybe copper Victorian-style jewelry pin at 7". I'll get a picture of it and post it in Finds. Thanks again and HH.

Thanks, Bart. This thing is a beast! I think it actually enjoys the challenge of finding goodies in nasty, iron-trashed areas. TTF is cool, too, it got me a 1902 Indian cent last evening :grin:

I'll probably be in the market for a sniper coil here one of these days. They seem to be a big help, too.

Congrats on the finds and thanks for sharing your information. There are obviously several of us who are still on the learning curve with our Etracs. Information like this is very helpful and welcomed. Thanks.

Thanks, and I'm glad it was helpful. I learned a lot from reading about other detectorists' experiences with the E-Trac before I even got mine, and have read even more since I got it.

If we can help one fellow MDer find an extra coin or avoid some frustration, I think it's well worth it to share the details of our experiences.

Back
Top Bottom