Coils

mrw5641

Good afternoon all,

I have the Fisher F2 and have never used the Sniper Coil. I was thinking about using it in my yard. What are the advantages of the sniper coil vs. the regular coil?

It can pinpoint the target easier and it helps in trashy areas. Also you can get real close to playground poles/equipement with it. But im no expert, im sure Digger27 will chime in soon.

♫ Ding Dong ♫

The sniper can move through trash easily.
So can the DD coil, but it is bigger and still has a greater chance of having more than one target under that coil.

Masking is way less of a problem with this coil, and that is a big problem in trashy sites but it can be in also some not so trashy sites, also.

It still goes pretty deep, in good soil 6" or maybe a little further, especially in moist soil.

I am very good with the F2 and larger coils when it comes to coin shooting, but sites I have thought I cleaned out after hunting several times came alive again when I came back and hit them with the sniper.
This was shocking to me.

I found a ton of clad and a huge amount of great targets using the 8" coil for about 19 months with the F2, and this is just one of 3 detectors I use regularly.
However, last June I switched to the sniper just for the heck of it and found so much more with it that it just lives on the end of my F2 most of the time, nowadays.
Not only a larger volume of finds but some top quality ones too...as a matter some of the best I ever found with any of my detectors...ever!
8 gold rings, a white gold 14k bracelet, a bunch of silver charms, rings and chains, some silver Merks, rosies and 2 Franklin halves on one hunt in a trashy picnic site.
Also the nicest diamond loaded 14k ring I have ever seen in real life.
Just that one ring paid for the F2 6X's over.

Here is some of my better finds with the F2 and the sniper just in the last 12 months using it.

I just can't express how much I enjoy using smaller coils on all of my detectors and I will continue to do this unless I am in areas that call for major depth and then I will switch.
I mostly hunt trash laden sites so this won't happen too often.

This is a long thread about my travels with the F2 since I got it, start on this page at post # 366 and read all about my experience with this coil as I learned and most of what I found with it.
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=53930&page=10

Attachments

• fffr.jpg
    fffr.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 161
As mentioned, if your sites are trashy, and you need a way to see between the trash, a sniper coil is what you want. If at your sites the targets are spaced out, a good big DD coil will improve your finds.

I'm in love with big DD coils... the added coverage per sweep and extra depth is hard to beat.

Back
Top Bottom