Help with ageing a 24/22ct ring please

Redmarrow

Hi all, I dug this ring up yesterday, it has what looks like a hallmark consisting.the crown above two letters. I cannot find reference to this anywhere? The ring has a lovely inscription inside and weighs 4.4g.

If anyone can tell me anything about this ring I would be very grateful.

Album in my profile box

Many thanks
Si

Welcome.

Ring looks to be a 'posy ring' and possibly quite old. (photo from your profile box)

"Posy rings derive their name from the word “posy” or “poesy” – a derivative of poetry meaning short rhyme. The rings were popular from the late medieval period onwards and were primarily used to communicate secret messages of love between the giver and the recipient. The wearing of words against the skin was believed to increase their poignancy."

Last edited:
Posy rings can be determined rather easy. I even have catalogues with common used adages.

We need at least a picture. Rings are as old as metal usage so could be anything.
And does it have any markes inside? From maker or about metal content?

Sounds like an interesting find!

Please post some pictures of the ring so we can help ID it for you.

Found it. It indeed seems to be a common adage.

A true friends gift

It is as Doug said a POSY RING. To be dated in the sixteenth to eighteenth century (ref: official catalogue).

It has a makers mark inside (left from the first A), so if you can find someone who has knowledge about those you can date more exactly.

What a beautifull great find. :thumbsup:
:congras::party::party:

Attachments

• ring-posyring.jpg
    ring-posyring.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 221
I did not know that!?!

Me neither at first.

"...none relevant..." that is far from a "Friendly" response! :mad:

Who's not friendly now?? :cool3:

Why i said "I THOUGHT (at first) it was .... not relevant...' when it became clear to me, for which i excussed myself at doug with this explaining "thought" centence.
So a very friendly responce. Nothing wrong with it. Hope thats cleared up now and took away missunderstandings.

Later i again complimented doug by confirming (with my catalog record) HIS quick and correct determination of posy ring.
Again. Well done doug. :thumbsup:

I am still waiting for the OP to get a picture posted up!

By the way. If you read well you also would have seen i also reposted the album from the ring images link again. :yes:

Thank you all for your help on this! I really appreciate it!

I can't find ref to the makers mark anywhere!

Si

Sorry. I can't help you there. That's something one has to be experienced with, which i am not.
Perhaps a juweler can help you with that? Scholed juwelers must learn a lot of them and some have good maker mark books. Or at least contacts for answers.

Perhaps an option to then also let it professionally be made straight? He's worth it. :thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom