• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

How exactly do you ask?

DeadWeight85

So I was figuring one day this week to hit up some old homes in the area, but I am little hesitant with it. I was wondering how do you go about approaching someone to ask them? I know it's been asked a thousand time, but I do like more input. My wife think's I am crazy for even trying to ask, but I figured whats the worst they say now. I know she thinks that I have nothing to offer the people in return, but I know to tell them about trash and what not. Any input is always appreciated.

Here is what I've used and it works very well. To be honest I don't get turned down. It seems that most people in the area are as interested in what may be in their yards as I am.

I use Goes4ever's spiel and it works like a charm. Terry knows what he is talking about and he has the results to back it. Here a link to his site. http://http://goes4ever.mymdforum.com/permission-faq/ Its a tutorial for getting permission.

mnhunter is absolutely right, Terry(Goes4ever) knows what he is talking about. Also I can add the obvious, be well dressed that is do not where anything offensive or wear dirty stained up detecting clothes. Also be clean shaving and look the people in the eye and smile and be pleasant. kill them with kindness so to speak. Also people are proud of there homes so comment on how you love beautiful older homes such as there's. You are going to get turned down sometimes that just goes with the territory but, name one aspect of life where you do not here the word no once in awhile. Also one more important thing if they tell you no just smile and say thank you anyway. You got to figure if you only get a few yesses that's worth all the no's especially to hunt virgin ground.

I've had more people come up to me and ask "What are you doing?" I smile and explain what I'm doing, and sometimes allow them to sweep an area themselves, telling them what they may find.

After chatting for a time, most ask if I would like to try their yard, or they know of a great spot that hasn't been touched by anyone MDing before. Before you know it, more doors open up, and you have to start planning where your next hunt will be. There may come a time you'll learn there are not enough hours in a day/week to hunt them all, but its fun trying.

But like everyone says, you will be told no at some point in time. Don't get angry, just smile, shake their hand and thank them for the chat.

NEVER walk up to anyones house carrying your MD. That is a big no-no.

If they are courious, then offer to show them what you do, and how things work. Explain to them you're not going to bring in any heavy equipment to dig a giant hole in their yard. If you have photos of your finds, show them. One picture can say a thousand words.

Like my farther once told me. "It never hurts to ask! It only hurts if you stab yourself with your digging tool because your so excited you don't see you hand is in the way."

GL and HH

I asked one homeowner and she said no, but it was not as bad as I thought. O well more tomorrow.

if some of those older homes are in your general neighborhood and you know the person/people, then those are the places to start with!
maybe start by striking up a conversation such as: you're looking for info on where any old stores or other old buildings may have been back in the day. after you get chatting with some of the old timers, bring up the subject of possibly searching their property! again, if it's someone you know, or if they knew your grand parents or whatever, you're more likely to get that first "yes".

after you get that first "yes"and after finding some old coins/relics, word of mouth might kick in about what you're doing and finding and they might mention it to their bingo buddy's (lol) and you'll have it made!
even if you get some NO's, be polite, thank them for their time and maybe give them a card with your name/number on it just in case they change their mind or lose something in the garden. finding a lost ring for someone can often lead to permission to search their whole yard after finding that precious heirloom! :yes:
good luck and keep us posted

Pete

I got my 1st yes today from a homeonwer with a house build in the 30's. After about 30mins of me searching she comes and says "I changed my mind I want you to leave now." I had not even dug a single plug. O well.

Also do you think I should wait for the weekend, or when I have off if I see someone at the home just stop by. I wonder what people think why I am asking during the week when I should be at work.

I liked to hit a few garage sales on the weekends, so I try to go to the older houses or older towns in my area. I find it alot easier to approach people with the subject if they are outside and it saves knocking on doors. I can usually find something to buy and sometimes the sale itself will lead to the subject of detecting. For instance two weeks back I stopped at a sale out in the country and this lady had two old ball canning jars for sale. I bought them for my odd finds and told her what I would use them for. She thought that was an awesome idea and happily gave me permission to detect her property and I didn't even ask.
Just another idea that's easy and it works for me.
Goodluck and HH, AL

Attachments

• DSCN1359.jpg
    DSCN1359.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 331
I was talking to a park worker the other day (i get on well with them) and they asked if id be scanning the fields, i ofcourse said now, around the edges but not the actual fields (at least not till the season is over then im all over it).

The reason he asked was becaue another detectorist in town had gone to another field and had dug holes and left them open all over the field...really trashed the place, its like one good detecting job always gets more, but one a$$hole and its right back to the beginning, sometimes it might be good to find the public places you can detect, even grass on the sidewalks and show people you have the equipement, talk to them if they show interest and get yourself known as both a clean hunter, sociable and respectfulm, willing to show your finds or a piece of paper with pictures of your finds on them.

It cant hurt to mention you always go 50/50 if you find something valuable and return what can be traced to an owner even if you havnt 'as yet' but show your not a 'backyard vulture' or 'dug, done and run' merchant.

If you state you alwayd show all the finds you get to the owners at the end of the day and where you found them and they are more then welcome to hunt with you if they wish, make it almost like your doing them the service and they may well get interested enough to give you permission and yes iof they turn out wanting to talk all day them give them that, the stuff isnt going to crawl out of the ground and run away, ABS, Always Be Social.

Back
Top Bottom