New here!

gatwinmama

Hello! My teenage son and I just got involved in a relic hunting group in our area of GA. We currently have no equipment and are looking to learn. We went out hunting an area last weekend just to get a feel for using the detectors. Both were borrowed from men in the relic hunting group.
Specifically, I had a very entry level detector that had no display, so I spent a lot of time digging up trash. I didn't mind too much, because as I said, I was just learning. My son was allowed to borrow a Fisher, I believe. It had a digital numeric display. We didn't find anything, but we considered it a good foray into learning.

Well, there's a Civil War show in Dalton, GA, coming up and I want to see if I can buy a used detector. We have a lot of areas here b/c Johnston led his men against Sherman all over this area just before the battle of Atlanta. I'd like something that is going to minimize our "wasted" time but isn't so smart and sophisticated that we can't use it. I don't mind putting in time to practice and watching videos to learn, too.

Any recs that you can give are appreciated. I saw that the guys had shovels (mine was really small, like a garden spade, so it took a long time to dig), pointers, bags that hung on their belts to collect items... We're wondering what we need to be not totally outfitted, but with enough to make it fun!

Welcome from Central MA! I think the Garrett AT pro would suit you well! Or the garrett Ace series. I would start with using accessories you already own, just in case you decide its not for you and waste some money. You can use a small garden trowel, and get a nail apron at the local hardware store for almost free...if it's something you think you want to seriously pursue, then you can add the nice pouches, pinpointers, shovels, etc... Good luck and happy hunting!

Whoohooo I love the fact you and your son are getting in to it. My 11 year old is not super excited about it yet, but I think I'll win by wearing him down over hours and hours of detecting...

As for gear, I am a relative newbie so not much info on variety. But I do like my AT Pro and while I still dig up trash I get good stuff too and the more I use it the more I understand what the beeps and numbers all mean. And a pin pointer will really help keep your son engaged as well since he will be able to actually pull the item out of the ground!

For shovels you can buy some nice ones specifically for detecting or go to Lowes/Home Depot and grab a trenching shovel and cut some of the handle off to make it shorter...or find a military surplus shop and try and get an "E tool" (entrenching tool) the military ones are meant for abuse and the knock offs at the big box stores are not.

And while you're at the military surplus store look at their selection of bags. They will have a ton of shapes and sizes with velcro or buttons and most if not all will have webbing a snaps so you can attach them to a belt (the system is called the MOLLE pronounced "molly") and most bags and such all have them.

And for us the best thing thus far is when we stop and have a snack and just get to chat as they get older the less they seem to be wiling to just hang out.

Have a blast and I hope this helps.

Cheers

Start with a decent used detector. Learn it, and then upgrade. Majority of us here have updated/ upgraded our equipment. As far as tools, start with what you have at home already. Shovel, pockets, or screwdriver.

Welcome from SC , my son and I detect often together, he also had to grow into liking it. Good luck on learning and the wealth of knowledge on this forum is amazing, most all are willing to help you with questions and answers.

Welcome from Honolulu. Just to let you know it doesn't matter what type of detector your using, you're gonna dig trash. Better detectors just help find a higher grade of trash but in the long run their worth it.

:fmdfwelcome: We are glad to have you! You've come to the right place - this forum is full of helpful tips and information for beginners & experts alike. When I was new to detecting, I learned so much here, and I am learning still!

I, too, would suggest the Garrett Ace series, or possibly the AT Pro - depending on how much you are comfortable spending on your first detector. A pinpointer is really a time-saver and very handy; personally, I just use a fanny pack for my finds pouch, and a handheld shovel like you mentioned (although the types of areas you hunt may influence the kind of shovel that works best for you. I mostly hunt playgrounds, so a heavy-duty shovel isn't necessary for me).

Also, since you mentioned you wouldn't mind watching videos, there are YouTube channels, such as NuggetNoggin, which are pretty advantageous in learning the ropes. I hope the two of you have fun with your new hobby, find some neat stuff, and - more importantly - make some special memories of your hunts together! We'll look forward to hearing about your finds. :grin:

Back
Top Bottom