2018: Successful! (My Second Year Totals)

Princess

Elite Member
Folks, I have an announcement: after a bit of contemplation & some hesitation, I've come to the conclusion that I have had a most successful metal detecting season!

So, if it's been so successful, what did I find? Well, let's go down the list.

Gold? Nope. Silver? Guess again. Old coinage? I wish! Successful?

How about some tokens, or other relics? Maybe some musket balls? Not hardly. Successful?

My clad total was $3.59. (I know - not very impressive.) My brother found at least twice as much as I almost every hunt! :lol: Pop can? Check. Nails? Definitely. Scrap metal? Always!

Well, I did find a couple of neat matchbox cars, a usable allen wrench, and my first foreign coin. :yes:

Successful? Okay... maybe not very much - in terms of tangible treasure, that is. But, let me share a few other highlights:

I got to hunt with my favorite detecting partners: my dad and two brothers. Together, we shared quality family time, and discussed one another's finds (or, in some cases, our lack of which :lol:). Besides that, we met for the first time another fellow detectorist (outside of family). And on top of that, I made so many wonderful friends here on FMDF! I was privileged to be able to explore God's creation, and I thank the Lord for each opportunity to view His handiwork - everything from sunsets to river & forest to animals and even other people - all the while doing something I really enjoy. While I did not have opportunity to hunt as much as I would have liked, I'm truly grateful for what I did uncover! And, yes, I had lots of fun. :D

Really, I wouldn't have had my season go any other way. :yes: Successful? Most definitely!

15466334364990.jpg
... And I can't wait to see what's waiting for me this year with my new equipment from Silversmith45, Choppadude, and Torpedo! Happy hunting, and may God bless!

Last edited:
Great post Princess! You have a great sense of how to measure success. I also love the way you laid out and labelled all the keepers. I especially like the line at the bottom. "Thank you Jesus" indeed!

Congrats on a great season Princess! I measure success in a very similar way, there's nothing I enjoy more than being out hunting pre dawn and get to see the first light of day arrive, especially lake hunting. Any nice finds are just an added bonus to a already great day. Best of luck to you and your family in 2019!

It's not always about quantity, but about quality. If you had fun with your family and then that's great :thumbsup:. I like being outdoors and sometimes when I'm hunting I'll take a quick break to take in my surroundings. Took this picture of a eucalyptus tree flowering while hunting yesterday. The other picture is from late last year when I was hunting by an old railway (10 minutes later a train drove by, only 4/5 come each day)

Attachments

• IMG_2923.jpg
    IMG_2923.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 491
  • IMG_2718.jpg
    IMG_2718.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 491
I think you did awesome, more importantly had fun and like you said enjoyed gods country! Keep going at it and the others materialistic stuff will come in time, but enjoy the family time first!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like you had a great year.
I like the hunt just as much as actually finding something cool plus I get to clean up Gods green earth along the way.
BTW those matchbox cars look flawless, NICE!
Hope you have just as much fun this year.

This is a hobby of enjoyment and for many of us a chance to put your mind in a different place for a while. It's simply a hunt itself that can make it a success. You yourself have to measure if its successful. There are many days I just want to dig and really don't care what I dig (within reason).

Congratulations on a great year!

Success is not always measured in the the finds, but in the adventures. It is all treasure and enjoyment, as we travel through each new experience. Growth in this hobby is success. The only question that matters is asking yourself do you think you expanded in your own knowledge and capabilities. As long as that happens then you will always be successful. From this outsiders opinion, that answer is yes. Congrats Princess on a very fine year in the hobby. Trapper

Congrats on the nice assortment of finds! The way you have it displayed not only shows the quantity of what was found but more importantly the quality of the person who found them!

Last edited:
Great post Princess! You have a great sense of how to measure success. I also love the way you laid out and labelled all the keepers. I especially like the line at the bottom. "Thank you Jesus" indeed!
I truly appreciate your kind words, Blaise! Yes, there is always something to thank God for. :D He really blessed me this season (as always)!

You are most Definitely SUCCESSFUL Princess and I expect nothing less of you this Year !!
Thanks, SoOregonMd. :grin: Your encouragement is valued!

Congrats on a great season Princess! I measure success in a very similar way, there's nothing I enjoy more than being out hunting pre dawn and get to see the first light of day arrive, especially lake hunting. Any nice finds are just an added bonus to a already great day. Best of luck to you and your family in 2019!
:waytogo: You've got it, Ron! What a lovely picture of dawn you have just painted in my mind. :grin: I think it's amazing that God created such a beautiful earth for our enjoyment, and our hobby is among my favorite ways to take it all in. Thank you for the reply!

It's not always about quantity, but about quality. If you had fun with your family and then that's great :thumbsup:. I like being outdoors and sometimes when I'm hunting I'll take a quick break to take in my surroundings. Took this picture of a eucalyptus tree flowering while hunting yesterday. The other picture is from late last year when I was hunting by an old railway (10 minutes later a train drove by, only 4/5 come each day)
Sandgroper, that is some beautiful photography! The flowering eucalyptus is pretty, and the railroad pic is really neat. (When writing my post, I was wishing that I had snapped photos of one gorgeous sunset in particular, since I thought it would've been neat to include them with the post, but alas, I didn't have my camera with that day. Thanks for taking care of it for me! ;))

I think you did awesome, more importantly had fun and like you said enjoyed gods country! Keep going at it and the others materialistic stuff will come in time, but enjoy the family time first!!
Your post is really well said. :yes: Thank you for the reply, Mike!

Princess Congrats a great year, May 19 bring you more success. HH Mark
Thanks, Mark! I hope you have a great season, as well. :thumbsup:

Sounds like you had a great year.
I like the hunt just as much as actually finding something cool plus I get to clean up Gods green earth along the way.
BTW those matchbox cars look flawless, NICE!
Hope you have just as much fun this year.
Your words are much appreciated, Pi! :grin: The cars are indeed in pretty good shape, especially the "Lamborghini"; the red one is slightly more beat up (missing one tire), but still a cool find, I think. :D

This is a hobby of enjoyment and for many of us a chance to put your mind in a different place for a while. It's simply a hunt itself that can make it a success. You yourself have to measure if its successful. There are many days I just want to dig and really don't care what I dig (within reason).

Congratulations on a great year!
Thank you! I know just what you mean, and you're right - it's the enjoyment of the hunt that counts. :yes:

P.S. I always get a chuckle at your signature line... "scrap metal relocation engineer." :lol:

Success is not always measured in the the finds, but in the adventures. It is all treasure and enjoyment, as we travel through each new experience. Growth in this hobby is success. The only question that matters is asking yourself do you think you expanded in your own knowledge and capabilities. As long as that happens then you will always be successful. From this outsiders opinion, that answer is yes. Congrats Princess on a very fine year in the hobby. Trapper
Thanks, Trapper! Your thoughts are an insightful twist on the very similar sentiments I expressed in my post. Indeed, I learned a lot about metal detecting this year, and much of it is because of the helpful members here at FMDF. :yes:

Congrats on the nice assortment of finds! The way you have it displayed not only shows the quantity of what what found but more importantly the quality of the person who found them!
Your words are really thoughtful, JAK! I enjoy documenting my finds. :grin:

The other day I went to a local beach town to detect where the tourists park along the street. I was able to dig a number of dollars in clad and had a very enjoyable afternoon But the icing on the cake was the sunset that I observed as I was leaving the island. God had painted the sky and put it there just for me to see.

Yes you had a very successful year. Keep enjoying the time with family and Gods creation.

You've got the right attitude for sure! I always enjoy the adventures and scenery specially with good friends.

I've learned God gives contentment to the hunts even to the ones that do not result in silver or gold. It is easy to get greedy and consumed with this hobby and when I start getting frustrated either at not having time to detect, or not finding anything when I do... I remember to pray and thank Jesus for the opportunity to just be outside under the trees enjoying his world.

Cheers to 2019!

Congratulations on another successful year!
You and Wolfie will certainly have some amazing finds this year:yes:

Congrats to you on a great 2018 season. The time spent with family members on your hunts is priceless. Enjoy the ride and continued luck to you in 2019.
Thank you, Ron! Princess agrees: priceless indeed! :grin: Have a wonderful 2019 season! :thumbsup:

The other day I went to a local beach town to detect where the tourists park along the street. I was able to dig a number of dollars in clad and had a very enjoyable afternoon But the icing on the cake was the sunset that I observed as I was leaving the island. God had painted the sky and put it there just for me to see.

Yes you had a very successful year. Keep enjoying the time with family and Gods creation.
What a special memory - thank you for sharing it! I love sunsets. From our back window we have a perfect vantage point to view many of them in the wintertime, and I feel so blessed to think that the Heavenly Father places them there for our enjoyment. :D

Congrats on a successful and enjoyable detecting year. God is good all the time.
Thanks! What you said is so true. Happy hunting in 2019, Firewxman!

You've got the right attitude for sure! I always enjoy the adventures and scenery specially with good friends.

I've learned God gives contentment to the hunts even to the ones that do not result in silver or gold. It is easy to get greedy and consumed with this hobby and when I start getting frustrated either at not having time to detect, or not finding anything when I do... I remember to pray and thank Jesus for the opportunity to just be outside under the trees enjoying his world.

Cheers to 2019!
Exactly! I think that's about the best way to look at it. :grin: My hunts are truly blessed, even when the finds are scarce, and I, too, try to keep my focus on thanking Him. Thanks for your reply!

Congratulations on another successful year!
You and Wolfie will certainly have some amazing finds this year:yes:
:D It's exciting just to wonder about what we might uncover this season. The two of us are certainly looking forward to it! Thanks for the encouragement, Matt; we hope that you, too, will have a great 2019! God bless! :waytogo:

Thanks for sharing your wrap up with us Princess.
Love the nice touch with all of your coin dates written above. đź‘Ť

Good luck in 2019 . Obviously you already have the right perspective for this hobbie.
Please keep us up to date as you uncover some interesting history along the way.
Great post!
,Dew

Great post, Princess! Congrats on a very successful 2018, and continued success in 2019. It’s a pleasure to have you and your family here and contributing on the forum, and I look forward to hearing about your future adventures together!

And I have to ask...whats up with the place holder for that final quarter - the 2006 Nevada? There’s gotta be a story there...scavenged to help pay for a hot chocolate after a chilly hunt? Or part of an emergency battery purchase when they went dead in the middle of a hunt? ;)

Back
Top Bottom