Does the Garrett Carrot work in salt water?

cutaplug

Just took a trip to Clearwater Beach in FL for a week vaca and was hugely disappointed that my Garrett Carrot would not work. It would go nuts every time I got it near the sand in the water. I adjusted the sensitivity all the way down to 1 and still no go. Didn't have room in my suitcase for a sand scoop so it put a pretty big dent in my metal detecting finds lol. Did end up with 2 pieces of gold so that was pretty nice... Is the carrot just useless in saltwater or do I have a faulty one?

Did you try sticking the tip in the wet sand before you turned it on?
I guess since you had all this trouble probably not.
Doing this will ground balance it to the surrounding area, hone down and sharpen the scanning field somewhat and cut out most falsing and jittery behavior.
Actually, it doesn't really false but it is so sensitive it will pick up all surrounding minerals and there is a lot of that in wet saltwater sand.
The directions say you can retune this way after turning it on, sticking the tip on the mineralized area and hitting the button once but powering up with the tip surrounded by the mineralized area seems to work a bit better and more efficiently.

From the manual...

Fast Retune for Mineralized Ground

To tune out the detection of saltwater, wet sand or highly mineralized
ground, hold the tip of the Pro-Pointer AT to the water, sand or soil and
quick-press the button () for an instant Retune.
If necessary, repeat this Fast Retune to further eliminate any
environmental response. Note: An alternate means of eliminating the
ground response is to reduce Sensitivity.

Lower sensitivity won't really work if the area you are searching is heavily saturated with minerals, you need to re-tune one way or the other.

Works great in my mineralized dirt, I assume it will work decently in the salt, also.

Last edited:
Ask Kapi..... I think hers is still swimming around somewhere down there in Florida...... ;)

I took mine down to the Bahamas and did the GB to sand trick and it still went off like crazy. Granted I had it at full sensitivity, but it was worthless in the wet sand.

BCD

Carrot flaw

I recently bought one as well and also started having a similar problem. Because I live in the islands I decided to open her up and snoop for the cause instead of just shipping it off to GARRETT. I found that the 2 copper looking wires to the sensor were pushed up against each other. and this might have been causing 'electronic interference'. This probably happened when it was being assembled in the housing. Anyway I re-arranged the wires and placed some insulation between the wires. I haven't had any more issues after this.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom