Newbie trying to detremine which MD is right

JR Hunter

Have credits at Cabelas's and wanting to buy a MD. The choices that they have (that I can determine that are a good midrange MD) are the Minelab x-Terra 305, Garret Ace 250, Fisher F-4 and F-5. Will be wanting to use the MD for finding gold/silver coins and jewlery. Have been looking at posts but it seems that there are hundreds of opinions out there. Just looking for a good MD and if in a few months I get really hooked, then not wishing I had bought one of the others. If you recomend one can you give me your thoughts as to why, I have no "earthly" idea on why one features are better the the other,,i.e. eliptical coil vs a round coil ..thanks in advance for your replies.

Or is there another MD out there is better then the 4 above at the same price?

Kind of like asking us to pick a new wife for you. They are all good, but do you like, blondes, brunettes, or redheads? Do some research on what machines peopleare using in your area. Good Luck!

Kind of like asking us to pick a new wife for you. They are all good, but do you like, blondes, brunettes, or redheads? Do some research on what machines peopleare using in your area. Good Luck!

If you had read my post you would have seen where I had stated that I have been looking at posts and everyone has an opinion. I have narrowed Cabela's large selection of MD's for sale down to the 4 that I had listed.

I do not understand the sport nor the language when it concerns the features of a MD,ect..I have been researching MD's and there are so many brands with so many features that is is difficult to get through the "noise". I do not know anyone in my area that uses a MD and that is why I came to this forum to "Request" some help and guidance. I didn't ask for some one to pick a wife but to make comments/recomendations on the 4 models that I had selected as I assumed that there is at least someone on this forum that has working experiences with at least one of the 4 models that I have narrowed it down and could offer me some help or guidance to what one model has vs the one of the others.

I started with the famous f2 cause money was tight and still is that's why I don't have the f4 or f5. But if I was you I would get the f4 to start out with but I'm a fisher guy. Tryed a ace 250 and did not find it a amuseing at all. If u can afford it tho and money's not a problem go with the f5 or beefed up f75.

If you had read my post you would have seen where I had stated that I have been looking at posts and everyone has an opinion. I have narrowed Cabela's large selection of MD's for sale down to the 4 that I had listed.

I do not understand the sport nor the language when it concerns the features of a MD,ect..I have been researching MD's and there are so many brands with so many features that is is difficult to get through the "noise". I do not know anyone in my area that uses a MD and that is why I came to this forum to "Request" some help and guidance. I didn't ask for some one to pick a wife but to make comments/recomendations on the 4 models that I had selected as I assumed that there is at least someone on this forum that has working experiences with at least one of the 4 models that I have narrowed it down and could offer me some help or guidance to what one model has vs the one of the others.

Check this out http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=107109

Minelab x-Terra 305 Best of luck to you! :cool:

Cabelas has a pretty good selection of Garrett, Fisher, and Minelab it seems, so it really depends on your budget. There is a pretty big difference in price between the 4 detectors you are asking about.

If gold is your goal, the higher the operating frequency the better. X terra runs at 7k which is pretty low, making it less sensitive to smaller gold but good on silver, where as something like the AT pro is 15k which is much better for gold, but the AT pro is also $599...

If gold is your goal, the higher the operating frequency the better. X terra runs at 7k which is pretty low, making it less sensitive to smaller gold but good on silver, where as something like the AT pro is 15k which is much better for gold, but the AT pro is also $599...
Ha! The 305 comes with the 7.5kHz coil, which is fine for most general coin shooting and relic hunts. But it also has the ability to run 18.75kHz by changing coils, making it a gold hunter that's able to run with bigger dogs.

Ha! The 305 comes with the 7.5kHz coil, which is fine for most general coin shooting and relic hunts. But it also has the ability to run 18.75kHz by changing coils, making it a gold hunter that's able to run with bigger dogs.

Thought it was only the 705 that did that. Good stuff

correct

305 has 2 coil option,7.5 and change the coil 18.75,the 705 would be a better Gold detector,but with a 3 coil option,if your on a budget ,just go for the 305 -with 2 coil's,happy hunting,Earl

I'll post my 2 cents. The Ace is a great intro machine, but the Xterra will definitely be an upgrade(I use minelabs, but also have the ace250). I can't comment on the Fisher line, but I have heard great things and I know they can go deep. Good luck and no matter what you choose-learning HOW to use it along with research will increase your chances for success

Any of those listed would be fine. It would be wise to go with the X-Terra 305 or the Fisher F4 or F5 because they have adjustable ground balance, you will find out why that is important later. A good analogy is adjusting contrast on a TV, when you adjust ground balance to the spot you are in the detector can more easily see targets against the background minerals.

The Ace-250 does not have adjustable ground balance.

Any of those listed would be fine. It would be wise to go with the X-Terra 305 or the Fisher F4 or F5 because they have adjustable ground balance, you will find out why that is important later. A good analogy is adjusting contrast on a TV, when you adjust ground balance to the spot you are in the detector can more easily see targets against the background minerals.

The Ace-250 does not have adjustable ground balance.

the f2 doesnt have ground balancing wish it did i think after six weeks i want ground balancing.

You really can't go wrong with Minelab. I started with a Bounty Hunter 505 then to a Landstar. I sold those for a Garrett GTP 1350.Sold the Garrett then I bought a Minelab 305.
I really liked it but knowing there were 2 models above that, I traded the 305 for a 505. I had to sell the 505 and was out of MD'ing for a bit then picked up a Teknetics Delta 4000 on the cheap. Sold the Delta and moved up to the Gamma. Recently sold the Gamma and went back to Minelab with a pristine X70 with the stock coil and a 5x10 DD 18.75khz coil.
After that interesting "journey", I have come back to Minelab and will stay there.

The dealer near me has rental detectors you might want to rent one and try before you buy.

I agree. Sometimes all the bells and whistles can get overpowering. Sometimes all the bells and whistles can really help you out. Trying out different models/brands/features can really help someone out, determining what features are wanted and which ones aren't. Another method would be to say where you're from. If someone here is nearby, maybe they'd be willing to help you out by letting you try theirs. Good luck! Curt

P.S. Terry Soloman was right, there really is no well defined answer. Much of it is personal preference. That's why Dinosaur's also right!

The minelab 305 is easy to use, and has the option for a higher freq coil. The fisher f5 has some extras as you progress in this hobby, but will also
fill the bill for a beginner.

It wouldnt hurt to go to a minelab or fisher website and read the manuals, plus mine lab as a product report that explains very well.

Also, go to utube there a video by mr, ladd that walks you through all the
features of the F5...minelab also has a similar video.

Note: The fisher f4 only manually balances in all metal, once in discrimination mode it goes to preset.

The f5 and minelab are great for mineralized soil, and dry and some wet sand beach hunting. good luck

I started with a ace 350 and found lots of good stuff with it but I have to admit that it wasn't long before I wanted to upgrade. I think that the manual ground balance was the thing I wanted most. I think your smart to start with a mid-grade machine. Good Luck to ya. Terry hit the nail on the head by the way.

The minelab 305 is easy to use, and has the option for a higher freq coil. The fisher f5 has some extras as you progress in this hobby, but will also
fill the bill for a beginner.

It wouldnt hurt to go to a minelab or fisher website and read the manuals, plus mine lab as a product report that explains very well.

Also, go to utube there a video by mr, ladd that walks you through all the
features of the F5...minelab also has a similar video.

Note: The fisher f4 only manually balances in all metal, once in discrimination mode it goes to preset.

The f5 and minelab are great for mineralized soil, and dry and some wet sand beach hunting. good luck

The F4 ground balances in all metal mode, but when you switch to discrimination mode it is still operating on your manual ground balance setting, NOT on a preset ground balance as most people seam to think. I have the fisher F4 and have tested it multiple times and have even talked to fisher my self to verify this.

The F4 ground balances in all metal mode, but when you switch to discrimination mode it is still operating on your manual ground balance setting, NOT on a preset ground balance as most people seam to think. I have the fisher F4 and have tested it multiple times and have even talked to fisher my self to verify this.

I have heard people spoke to fisher as well about the f4, but reading a post from Dave Johnson on another forum, he stated that GB in discrimination, goes to a preset. So I may be wrong, but only quoting the engineer.

While I like fisher as well as minelab I would prefer the xt305 over the f4, and then the f5. jmho

Back
Top Bottom