Strange EMI or Magnetic Field Problem

CyberSage

Elite Member
Not sure what forums this belongs in, but thought I would share an interesting experience I just had. I was in my front yard and my DFX started behaving erratically and maxing out the Signagraph with a solid bar in the +95 area. I tried both stock coil and a 6X10 DD Eclipse with no change.Then tried a Bigfoot coil and everything worked great?! I found it unlikely that I had 2 bad coils, so I crossed the street and walked down about a half a block away and tried again. Same thing. I called Whites and described what was happening, They said, "send it in", that that was a problem. Not happy I started packing things up and decided to run to a local park and try again. Low and behold everything worked great! So come to find out I have this problem within 2 blocks of my house. Some kind of EMI problem? I have no overhead powerlines near by. Street lamps or anything obvious. What ever it is the Bigfoot coil seems to be impervious to it. Any Ideas? 60 cycle problem maybe? This just started as I use This area in my yard for testing all the time.

Jack

Underground power lines in your neighborhood most likely. I have this issue as well. Actually, I have it worse. The back yard has high power lines and the front is the underground lines.

Do they put transformers underground? We do have underground power. As a matter of fact I could locate the line to my house with the detector prior to this problem. (the reading would jump all over the place.) Locater service painted it out when the neighbors were digging up there yard. So I played with the area around the marking to see what would happen. The closer to my house I got the crazier the readout. So I suppose something changed with the power in the neighborhood?

Jack

The transformers are usually big green boxes just above ground (someone correct me if I'm wrong). If you're any where near (within tens of feet) of these lines, you're not going to have much fun using a DFX. Even my MXT had some trouble around them, but not nearly as much. The DFX is a very sensitive machine and one of the reasons why it's so great at finding things.

Bingo! Big green boxes in vicinity. I do thinks its pretty cool that the bigfoot coil works great. I have it pumped up to the max, no problems. This looks like a good coil for those over or under head wire situations. Thank you for your input.

Jack

Back
Top Bottom