Is it normal for the detector to make noises when the coil is tapped?

Bajanick

Elite Member
I am starting to think there is something wrong with my MXT, or coil, the amount of noise I am getting cant possibly be normal.

I was playing around and noticed at the end of each swing I get a crackling sound, So I started to tap on the coil (5.3)and as I did, I got different sounds coming from the machine.

I have not had time to test it with the stock coil.

Is it normal to have noises from tapping on the coil?

No, I was not tapping it with a metal object, lol. :)

Check your connection at the control housing and also check to see if the cord could be coming loose from the coil. If your using a coil cover you could have some dirt or sand between it and the coil.

Bajanick said:
I am starting to think there is something wrong with my MXT, or coil, the amount of noise I am getting cant possibly be normal.

I was playing around and noticed at the end of each swing I get a crackling sound, So I started to tap on the coil (5.3)and as I did, I got different sounds coming from the machine.

I have not had time to test it with the stock coil.

Is it normal to have noises from tapping on the coil?

No, I was not tapping it with a metal object, lol. :)

It sounds like something is wrong, possibly its a bad coil... wiggle the connection thats going into the coil or check what MDW said.. is your coil wire tightly wrapped and secured to your detector as well? Are you using a coil cover? Sometimes sand or dirt moving around inside coil cover can cause a scratchy sound as well. I think you should reattach the stock coil and see if you get the same results as well.

i had the same with my old tesoro 8.5" widescan and turned out that the coil windings had broken loose inside the coil...can be fixed but needs to be sent away for that... i hope its not that serious for yours mate

Back
Top Bottom