GPS units under $200

Analog_Kid

Hey guys,

What kind of GPS do you use and why? Do you love yours? What kind of features does your offer that makes you love it?

I'd like to find one that allows you to upload old atlases or at least set a way point for you to find potential targets.

I just recently bought a GPS, a Garmin Nuvi 2460LMT. It has all the bells and whistles including voice command, it has speed and red light camera detection, it has an optimization for multi stops so that you won't overlap your driving, especially for use a delivery person and I bought it New for $179...

I was thinking more along the lines of trail GPS units, but we actually have the one you've mentioned. I'll read more about its capabilities.

I recently upgraded my old Garmin eTrex Vista to an Oregon 550T for geocaching, hunting, and hiking. Cabela's had them on sale for 50% off over Xmas. So far I've liked it. You can get a cheaper Garmin unit, but don't know how much memory for mapping it might have. Most newer models have high sensitivity antenna's now, but that is the primary feature I recommend when buying a new one. Without the high sensitivity antenna, signal gets lost easily in the trees, mountains, or heavy cloud cover.
FWIW.

The 2460 does everything and I think its accurate up to 5 - 10'...

GPS-z today could easily get resolution under a foot if the feds weren't involved. I worked with GPS before most anyone even heard the term GPS...back in 1980. We got a guarantee of under a meter way back then and there were only 3 base station(sats) to calculate from. We now have like 20+ orbiting satellites and can't beat exact locations better than this? I don't think so. It could be down to the nat's hair if not for interventions from Big Bro, trust me. martin

I just upgraded to the Garmin Nuvi 255W as I found it on the beach this weekend (I am guessing the July 4th folks lost it out of their bag during the festivities). It is bigger than the one I had in the car.

I use a Garmin eTrex Venture HC.
Nice GPS, which lasts for hours on a couple of AA rechargeables.

Set it to track your trip, mark waypoints as you go, or as I do, mark find spots.

The when I get home, plug it into the computer and download the data
onto Google Earth. You can then see where's you've been and where
you've found things.
Mine was the equivalent of $111 or £75

Back
Top Bottom