Garrett 5X8 Coil Cover Issue

Bomberman

I know, it's only a coil cover, but I just bought a 5X8 coil and cover for my Max. Came home and snapped the cover on and it didn't seat completely in the center of the coil. Removed it and tried again, same deal. There is enough gap that I could see sand and dirt gathering in the void to eventually cause problems and possibly scratch up the coil. It is seated entirely around the outer coil and all edges have snapped in correctly. It seems to be a design issue.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Last edited:
I know, it's only a coil cover, but I just bought a 5X8 coil and cover for my Max. Came home and snapped the cover on and it didn't seat completely in the center of the coil. Removed it and tried again, same deal. There is enough gap that I could see sand and dirt gathering in the void to eventually cause problems and possibly scratch up the coil. It is seated entirely around the outer coil but and all edges have snapped in correctly. It seems to be a design issue.

Can't say that I have. That's odd for sure, though. I'll be getting one of those covers in a couple weeks or so. I'll let you know if I have the same issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Placed a quick call to Garrett customer service that confirmed there is indeed a design problem that they are aware of. They stated that their engineers have redesigned the cover and they will be selling the replacements as soon as they are manufactured. They took down my name and address so they can send me a new one once they are received.

In the mean time I took some electrical tape and wrapped the center coils just in front of and behind the shaft attachment tabs to hold it in place.

I know, it's only a coil cover, but I just bought a 5X8 coil and cover for my Max. Came home and snapped the cover on and it didn't seat completely in the center of the coil. Removed it and tried again, same deal. There is enough gap that I could see sand and dirt gathering in the void to eventually cause problems and possibly scratch up the coil. It is seated entirely around the outer coil and all edges have snapped in correctly. It seems to be a design issue.

I had the exact same problem with mine when I had an AT-Pro.
I fixed mine with a heat gun (a hairdryer will not work).
Remove the coil cover and put it on a flat surface that can take heat (I used my concrete garage floor).
Do you notice that it's slightly warped ?
Place the coil on a heat-resistant surface with the warped-out side facing up.
Carefully heat-up the coil cover be careful not to leave the heat pointed at the same spot for too long.
Eventually the coil cover should lay flat by itself as it becomes super-heated.
If it doesn't seem to be working, put on a a pair of gloves and grab but ends of the cover and pull up (forcing the warp down) while it's still hot.
I also squeezed in the edges of the center rails while it was heated (see image).

When I was done, the thing fit like a glove.
You know you've heated it too much if it bursts into flame or turns into a pile of black goo.
Good luck and don't burn yourself ! :)

Attachments

• Garrett-5x8-coil-cover_204x209.jpg
    Garrett-5x8-coil-cover_204x209.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
thats why i dont use coil covers - i spray my coils with non-metallic bedliner
lasts a long time and if it ever chips off, just needs touched up

nothing to work its way between coil and cover

i have 2 coil covers for my 5x8 on the atpro the same as yours. fits good everywhere but in the middle.

thats why i dont use coil covers - i spray my coils with non-metallic bedliner

lasts a long time and if it ever chips off, just needs touched up

nothing to work its way between coil and cover

Any brand recommendations and other advice for pursuing this method?

Any brand recommendations and other advice for pursuing this method?

I used Dupli-Color Truck Bed Coating. Its in a blue aerosol can - don't get the dupli-color bed liner - heard it has metal in it. Got mine from advance auto parts.
I clean the coil first with soap and water - dry it off, let it set to completely dry. then i wipe it down with alcohol, let that dry a bit. then spray the bed coating on it - making sure to put on several light coats, i also spray the sides of the coil too, but not the top.

I have even used it on my pinpointers!

Have had it on my coils for a while now - really protects them. As a note, this will not void the manufacturer warranty on the coils either. I had to send my detector and coils back to Fisher and it was not an issue with them.

Back
Top Bottom