Old Headstamp ID

Stiffwrists

Elite Member
Found these today, deep in a park that has history back to the mid 1800's. I was surprised how good they look. I've dug lots of head stamps and usually just throw them away, but these look nice and old. Anyone an expert on IDing head stamps? Interested in their age if possible. Thanks.

Attachments

• 20181218_192225_resized.jpg
    20181218_192225_resized.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 451
The one on the left is 1895-1902.

The one on the right I don’t know, I found a nitro club with the rest the same that dated 1915-1937, not sure if new club is same.

Go to google books and find the search box. Do a search for the name on the shell like "nitro club" The search results will feature old magazines in pdf format. These magazines will show pictures of the shells in the form of advertisements. Flip through the magazines until you find a date somewhere. It fun to identify stuff by magazines advertisements.

Interested in their age if possible. Thanks.

The one on the left is 1895-1902.

The one on the right I don’t know, I found a nitro club with the rest the same that dated 1915-1937, not sure if new club is same.

Those dates seem about right - UMC bought Remington in 1896, but they didn't officially merge until 1911. What's more, the two companies still apparently operated independently until they incorporated together as "Remington Arms Union Metallic Cartridge Company" in 1916. Based on that, I'd say the one on the right is post-1916.

Nice digs, SW!

Interested in their age if possible. Thanks.

This web sight used to be the place to ID headstamps. http://www.headstamps.x10.mx/database.html
Unfortunately it now looks like this.

The resource was outstanding and I wish we had the foresight to back it up somehow.

Yes a true shame. Turtlefoot on here maintained that but is apparently gone. Sad. That’s where I got the little info I have.

Actually, the one on the right might be a somewhat rare one, and from 1911-1914....according to Turtlefoot! I was able to visit an archive of his former website using the Internet Archive: Wayback Machine!! Just type the web address provided by Bank Fished into the box, and you can access much of his site - just lacks the images, but you can infer a lot from the descriptions.

Here's a link to the page that contains SW's headstamp - I think his might be the fourth one down under the 12 gauge section: Turtlefoot's Remington Page

the main page can be accessed here: Turtlefoot's Main Page

Actually, the one on the right might be a somewhat rare one, and from 1911-1914....according to Turtlefoot! I was able to visit an archive of his former website using the Internet Archive: Wayback Machine!! Just type the web address provided by Bank Fished into the box, and you can access much of his site - just lacks the images, but you can infer a lot from the descriptions.

Here's a link to the page that contains SW's headstamp - I think his might be the fourth one down under the 12 gauge section: Turtlefoot's Remington Page

the main page can be accessed here: Turtlefoot's Main Page

That's a handy link there AirmetTango! Too bad it doesn't archive the images too but the copy is worth it for sure. Time to try and save that down :)

Thanks for all the information guys! I know that park has to have some more old goodies.

Found these today, deep in a park that has history back to the mid 1800's. I was surprised how good they look. I've dug lots of head stamps and usually just throw them away, but these look nice and old. Anyone an expert on IDing head stamps? Interested in their age if possible. Thanks.

a39b4f0952808d97f2a21fda0c903b92.jpg

See this post from 12-3-2018
https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=268098&highlight=good+finds

They are Black Powder (Paper) Shotgun Shells. Plenty of info here on them to be found, especially from Turtlefoot.

Yes a true shame. Turtlefoot on here maintained that but is apparently gone. Sad. That’s where I got the little info I have.

I really miss this site and his knowledge. Does anyone know how to access cached websites? The site as it was like 18 months ago? I know there is a way somehow....would be a great database to save somehow, he clearly put so much work into it.

I really miss this site and his knowledge. Does anyone know how to access cached websites? The site as it was like 18 months ago? I know there is a way somehow....would be a great database to save somehow, he clearly put so much work into it.

Look at post #7 above by AirmetTango!

I saved down a few pages yesterday. No pics, but the data is there.

The resource was outstanding and I wish we had the foresight to back it up somehow.

I really miss this site and his knowledge....would be a great database to save somehow, he clearly put so much work into it.

I started detecting too late to benefit from Turtlefoot's knowledge directly - his website was already down by the time I learned about it. But whenever I've researched a headstamp that I've found, it was rare that I would do a Google search and his name didn't come up in the results - there was no doubt his knowledge on the subject is/was extensive.

I've actually been thinking a lot about attempting to resurrect his database from that archive. My knowledge is not even close to the level Turtlefoot had, but I have the desire to learn more. I save every headstamp I find and research the ones that seem to be older. I could download the archived pages and try to gradually re-associate pics with the descriptions, and upload them to a new web address. All of the work would still be attributed to Turtlefoot. What do you think?

I started detecting too late to benefit from Turtlefoot's knowledge directly - his website was already down by the time I learned about it. But whenever I've researched a headstamp that I've found, it was rare that I would do a Google search and his name didn't come up in the results - there was no doubt his knowledge on the subject is/was extensive.

I've actually been thinking a lot about attempting to resurrect his database from that archive. My knowledge is not even close to the level Turtlefoot had, but I have the desire to learn more. I save every headstamp I find and research the ones that seem to be older. I could download the archived pages and try to gradually re-associate pics with the descriptions, and upload them to a new web address. All of the work would still be attributed to Turtlefoot. What do you think?

Great idea! A lot of work, but if you're up to it then go for it!

that's the type of thing where someone works on it for 30 minutes a week and eventually after a while the project is mostly done. After its mostly done some other people may want to volunteer and eventually it gets done. In the digital world nothing really exist unless it is saved in several long term archives.

Back
Top Bottom