Which detector is best for a planted silver hunt?

Texaspast

Elite Member
Given your druthers, what detector would you use on a planted silver hunt? I haven't done one in a bunch of years, but I'm thinking about doing it again. I'm going to try using the Deus with 11" coil because it is wireless, light, and the big coil will cover lots of ground. Never tried for speed before, though. What do some of you folks use on a planted hunt?

I've never done a planted speed hunt...Yet...

A very speedy target recovery technique would be super important...moreso than any rig I imagine....
I'd not have a pinpointer, just a screwdriver, barefoot, wear loose shorts or none at all!...

I'd also inquire about the 'tokens' for the prizes...are they Brass? Copper? Steel?

Then I'd hit hard and fast and be flat stooping and stabbing, not looking at the targets, just full bore speed on target and ping to pouch in less than 10sec...flying....like in a massive clad fest...@150 CPH rate...

Since all other detectors are obsolete, only the Equinox will suffice! You don't want a bunch of other detectorists making fun of you and your outdated machine do you?

Given your druthers, what detector would you use on a planted silver hunt? I haven't done one in a bunch of years, but I'm thinking about doing it again. I'm going to try using the Deus with 11" coil because it is wireless, light, and the big coil will cover lots of ground. Never tried for speed before, though. What do some of you folks use on a planted hunt?

Recovery speed is much more preferred on those types of hunts than depth. In the ones that I have been a part of, there were so many targets relatively close together that a large coil would definitely not be my choice. The whole thing is over very quickly and you most likely will not be covering lots of area so to get the best out of the area you are hunting might be the best route. The Deus will do very well but not real sure about your coil choice. I would probably go with the stock coil or elliptical coil if you have it. You won't have time to pinpoint anything so the smaller area that your coil covers the more accurate you can be. Just my thoughts and I am sure some will disagree.

Speed is the key...small coil 5" or 7"...when you hear it beep stoop down and scrape it up and put it in your pouch....we use like a lil hand rake to just part the grass/dirt....if you take time to pinpoint you've done lost coins....its all over after 10 minutes...lightweight
detector.....i can use either my X5 or X2 or Tesoro...
Good luck..

I've only done one in the past and used the ATP with stock coil on it. Alot of ATP's there at the time but most had the 5x8 on them. The ATP is quick, big coil gave me good coverage and dropped the sensitivity way back since I knew everything was going to be shallow anyway. I was cleaning house compared to Dues's Safaris, some Ace machines. Think there was even a Fisher or 2 there.

Since all other detectors are obsolete, only the Equinox will suffice! You don't want a bunch of other detectorists making fun of you and your outdated machine do you?

Actually, I'll be leaving the Equinox at home for this one - it's starting to get a bad attitude with all the attention and such :) . It has a big coil too, but the Deus is lighter and more 'ergonomically' comfortable. I guess I could go with the MXT as I have a smaller coil (6") for that one, but I don't think the coins will be planted that close together. At least when I used to help with the planting for my old club (YEARS ago), I didn't put them that close. If I want to use an OLD detector, I'd use my Compass XP-Pro. That was the last machine I did a planted hunt with - tells you how long its been!

I have participated in three seeded hunts. Since i don't have a lot of choice i used my sovereign GT. Won prized in two of the three hunts. Got another hunt coming up in a few days. The targets will all be shallow. Use what you like the most.

iu

On a competition hunt fast accurate pinpointing is a plus.. also as is light weight. The Tesoro Cibola pinpoints is a very small spot on it's coil, it's light weight and is deep especially for it's price range.. just my 2¢

Speed is the key...small coil 5" or 7"...when you hear it beep stoop down and scrape it up and put it in your pouch....we use like a lil hand rake to just part the grass/dirt....if you take time to pinpoint you've done lost coins....its all over after 10 minutes...lightweight
detector.....i can use either my X5 or X2 or Tesoro...
Good luck..

Used my X2 in one once, love the super 7 coil. A deadly competition machine !! I was stupid to ever get rid of mine !!!

I cleaned up nicely in my club's last hunt with my Vaquero using the 11x8 coil. Light, fast, easy pinpointing... A Tesoro equipped with a cleansweep coil would dominate!
V610U2N.jpg

I cleaned up nicely in my club's last hunt with my Vaquero using the 11x8 coil. Light, fast, easy pinpointing... A Tesoro equipped with a cleansweep coil would dominate!
V610U2N.jpg

I'll rent you mine for half the take . The clean sweep I have is available but will be extra 😎
Good luck sounds like it will be a fun day no matter what .
Also consider you have multiple detectors on all sides so a machine that can handle the interference is also a plus 👍

The best machine is a lite one.
What helped me on the speed more than anything is the new workout regimen I have been on for the last 4 months. My ability to get up and down quickly and to just plow through a 1 hour speed hunt was greatly improved through conditioning.

I used my at pro with 5x8 coil at my last seeded hunt and did quite well. This was my haul from 3 hunts. I was among the top for total coins in each hunt. If the small coil was available for the equinox it would be deadly in a seeded hunt as well.
7805456aca5203e98805221c37c31b53.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom