The New Legend of Buffalo Billy

SoOregonMd

Elite Member
Today started out Interesting and got weirder by the hour.

I got up early this morning, and at the crack of dawn I headed to a Site I was at last weekend that is about 45 minutes away.
Last weekend I found a large silver ring, and various other Jewelry so I was really pumped to go.

Out the door at 5:15, Quick stop at Dutch Brothers Coffee and I was onsite by 6:00 am.

First target a Bullet..
Second target a 2 quarter Coin Spill.
Next 2 dimes and a Memorial.

Next think I know I am digging a Pull Tab and I look up and I am surrounded by 4 deer and 2 Male Tom Turkeys all fluffed and fanned out and staring at me. I said to them "What are you looking at" and went about my business as did they.
Just as I am getting up from cursing the pull tab, I look over and there is a little Gazebo type thing at the park I am at.. mind you this is a 100+ Acre park that goes forever and runs along the Rogue River.. Well strung between two pillars is a Hammock and it is occupied. Once again I went about my task.

about 5 minutes later I see the "Tenant" get out of his bed and put his back pack on.

The next thing I know this gentleman walks towards me and asks me if I am finding anything. I told him I pretty much just got here, so nit much yet.
Well we got to chit chatting and I asked him his Name. He said "Well my name is William but my friends call me Billy "I said Nice to meet you Billy" and shook his hand. Billy then asked me if I collect coins and I told him Yes.
Billy then reached into his pocket and said "Then I would like to give this to you". Billy then Placed a Buffalo Nickel in my hand and my Jaw dropped.

I thanked him profusely and told him I had never found one in fact I had not even seen one in Person since I was probably 8 years old. we talked a little bit more and then Billy said goodbye and started to walk away.

Just then a freaking Catering truck pulls up across the parking lot and sets up shop.
I see the Chuck Wagon (it's what I am calling it for this story now) and I call over to Billy.. "Hey Billy... not so fast.. Can I at least buy you breakfast?"
Billy shrugged and said "Sure that would be nice."

well Billy and I for the next 45 minutes talked and ate Bacon Egg and Cheese Burritos together..

I have to say that this Selfless Homeless man Made my day right there and I swear I will remember him for the rest of my life..

I have actually talked to multiple homeless people at this Park and every one of them have been down to earth and genuinely interested in what I am doing.. but Billy , he was obviously special.

Anyways Billy wherever you are tonight.. I hope you stay safe and sleep well my friend and know that in this guys eye The Legend of Buffalo Billy lives on.

When I started this post I said things got weirder by the hour so stay tuned for a different post for what happened to me later in my hunt and what I actually did find..

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=261237

Attachments

• Billy1.jpg
    Billy1.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 466
  • Billy2.jpg
    Billy2.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 456
Last edited:
Really cool story man. People are always interesting and amaze with good and bad both. Glad your experience was a good one and hopefully Buffalo Billy is warm and full tonight!

That is super cool. I bet something you'll never forget. I've had similar experiences with homeless people trying to help me out a couple of times. Glad you were able to buy him breakfast.

Nice story and sounds like a fun day. Well, so far anyways. Curious now to hear the rest of the story. But for a homeless man to start handing out buffalo's!? That's unheard of and a cool story indeed.

Great story and I did read your gold nugget find too. I'd say you had a day you'll never forget. Maybe the man upstairs was rewarding you for your kindness to the homeless man ???
Bubbaron NOX 600, AT PRO, AT PRO CARROT PIN POINTER

Great story and I did read your gold nugget find too. I'd say you had a day you'll never forget. Maybe the man upstairs was rewarding you for your kindness to the homeless man ???
Bubbaron NOX 600, AT PRO, AT PRO CARROT PIN POINTER

True That Bubbaron !!

Cool Story! It made my morning!

Thanks Happy .. Made my morning too

Nice story and sounds like a fun day. Well, so far anyways. Curious now to hear the rest of the story. But for a homeless man to start handing out buffalo's!? That's unheard of and a cool story indeed.

Right.. I have never heard of anything like it. I asked Billy where he got it and he said he found it on the trail. go figure.

Great story! My favorite place in the whole world is the upper Rogue River. Spent a couple weeks trout fishing and exploring that area. Stayed at Union Creek camp ground.

Sent from my LG-M154 using Tapatalk

Great story! My favorite place in the whole world is the upper Rogue River. Spent a couple weeks trout fishing and exploring that area. Stayed at Union Creek camp ground.

Sent from my LG-M154 using Tapatalk

That's awesome Chris.. If you ever get back this way and bring your Rig, maybe we can hook up

Man I love how your day went there! Yep...Its good to be up and outside when the traffic lights are blinking yellow...A guy never knows what kind of adventure awaits once he gets out of the house! Good on ya and a really great Life exchange there!

Man I love how your day went there! Yep...Its good to be up and outside when the traffic lights are blinking yellow...A guy never knows what kind of adventure awaits once he gets out of the house! Good on ya and a really great Life exchange there!

Thanks Mud, Billy as a hoot to talk to.

Good job Sir and good karma too.

Thanks !

great story and congrats on the buff!

Appreciate it Fool

Excellent story and good on you for buying him some breakfast.

Thanks DN, My Breakfast Burrito was awesome lol

Back
Top Bottom