Ethical question: does this count as a return.

Chipk

Elite Member
A childhood friend is selling his parents’ house and I offered to scan the yard in case there might be something he would want.

I searched it yesterday and found a silver and abalone ring his mother had lost, probably 50 years ago. I notified him I had it and wanted to return it. He was happy but then I mentioned it was damaged as the band was crushed inward.

He then said if it was damaged he didn’t want it.

So for the purpose of accurate record keeping, does this count as a return? This would be my 16th.

Attachments

• F352E268-91E1-4244-A105-08A174822B35.jpg
    F352E268-91E1-4244-A105-08A174822B35.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 434
  • 1F125FE2-C14C-474C-A98C-2DB5A048E8FD.jpg
    1F125FE2-C14C-474C-A98C-2DB5A048E8FD.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 372
That goes down as a good deed in my book, but not a return.
Honest, thoughtful attempt.
Good job, Chipk

I haven't had the opportunity of a return, but it sounds like you did the right thing by letting your friend know of the find. Your friend is completely aware of it and knows that you have it. Seems like you've done your best effort thus far. Maybe hang onto it if he happens to change his mind....But yes I would think it counts as a return.

Depending on whether you can afford it, you could always take it to the jewelers and have them fix it and clean it up for him as a gift if you think he would like that sort of thing. Otherwise, just add it to your ring count and be happy.

A local jewelry store charged me $15.00 to straighten and polish a ring that i had found. Might want to see if you can get it straightened and then offer it to him.

Depending on whether you can afford it, you could always take it to the jewelers and have them fix it and clean it up for him as a gift if you think he would like that sort of thing. Otherwise, just add it to your ring count and be happy.

+1
This was exactly what I was thinking. Sometimes things like this mean the world to a friend. Nice find, either way.

A childhood friend is selling his parents’ house and I offered to scan the yard in case there might be something he would want.

I searched it yesterday and found a silver and abalone ring his mother had lost, probably 50 years ago. I notified him I had it and wanted to return it. He was happy but then I mentioned it was damaged as the band was crushed inward.

He then said if it was damaged he didn’t want it.

So for the purpose of accurate record keeping, does this count as a return? This would be my 16th.

Personally, I'd call that a "return offered, but allowed to keep." which makes it 100% a "keeper."

A mandrel and a cloth covered hammer would have that looking new in lickity split.

Another vote for an easy fix. If he's a "good" friend, take it and have it repaired, as long as you're sure it belonged to her, and return it. At least get a quote to repair, and go from there.

I'd think he'd want to have it repaired for her, but evidently not? If the site he let you hunt was a fair to good site, I'd toss a few bucks for it as a "thanks".

I don't know if you can classify it as a return. You certainly made the effort and that should count for something. If it was important to him he would have taken it. I think that you have met your obligations. I think that if you get it fixed you are not obligated to try again.

Last edited:
I'd have to call it a return and the owner gave it back to him as a reward. The owner was found, offered, and didn't want it. You catch a fish, don't want it, throw it back. Still a catch. Just my thoughts.

Hey Chip! just straighten it out on a rod or something. I do it all the time on a rod with a wooden mallet. no biggie... but nice find!

its not worth much at all, a buck or two silver, but if he is that good of a friend just fix it yourself and return it.

its just bent a little.

All depends on what you personally want to call it. I don't totally understand what keeping a record of returns is for but its likely for your own enjoyment. In that case it counts , as long as you don't get into a disagreement with yourself about it :lol:

Yeah that's a return. Just because that loser doesn't have any sense of sentimentality it's not your fault.

Good job.

I agree that it's as attempted return, but not a true return. That one is as easy repair, though. Sounds like the friend was more into value than sentimentality, unfortunately. It's a find you can be proud of!

Back
Top Bottom