Gorilla DIY MD sling

Seaking406

Elite Member
Not sure if anyone came up with this before or if it's been mentioned before, I couldn't find anything in the search engine.. so here goes, my apologies if this is repeating something painfully obvious to the learned members..

Reading in the past articles posted by various members, it was apparent that many suffer the ol' tennis elbow syndrome of gripping your MD too tightly and causing flare ups at the top of the forearm before the elbow.. Wearing an elbow cuff and strap to bind the top muscle group helps a lot to prevent re-injury and makes your time dirt fishing more enjoyable..

I often carry my knapsack when I go out with the missus, carrying our lunch to eat on the beach. The shoulder strap has several loops on it and hmm.. why not try a bungee cord looped around the MD and onto the shoulder strap loops.. might carry some of that MD weight and help me with my elbow issues..

Its really a super simple set up, the bungee cord carries just enough of the MD weight to allow me to loosen my grip on the MD and still permit me to swing it to and fro without causing discomfort to the elbow.. When I need to put it down to dig a hole, the bungee slips out easily and slips back on so easily..

I was out on a long beach today and tried it out and yes, it worked wonders! I used to have to switch arms or take a pause if I wasn't digging up holes.. I was able to swing the stick for extended periods of time.. which was a good thing because out of the whole two hours spent at the low tide line as the tide went out and back in, there was nothing to be found, not a beep, not a thing.. And this was the same beach that netted me a silver ring and Twoonies the previous time out there..

So simple to rig up, I may try various attachment methods in the future till I find something super simple and easy than what I do now with it.. but it works well..

Sorry, no pics, didn't think of taking some as this is that simple to try..

Hopefully this will help someone else out who has a tender elbow and would like some relief..

Cheers

Yep,even though a “real sling or harness” is nice,I’ve used a simple setup like yours and it also worked surprisingly well. A little ingenuity goes a LONG way!
Nicely done...

You can also shorten the rod and detect closer to your feet to reduce fatigue.

Done all that ;) the bungee goes a long way to help even more.. This is all due to an old military injury.. saluting too many officers.. Hmm wonder if there is a medical pension for that? hmmm..

Done all that ;) the bungee goes a long way to help even more.. This is all due to an old military injury.. saluting too many officers.. Hmm wonder if there is a medical pension for that? hmmm..

Since i spent 20 years in the USN i would not be surprised of some one has not approached the Veterans Administration and claimed that as a shoulder injury. I have seen 100% disability rulings for things that had absolutely no connection to the Military.

Ha ha ha ha

Sure blame it on saluting.......yes 10%. You still have another arm.

My officers and Sergeant Majors ran from me, and I was only a corporal....

When I made Sargent they put me in the head shed......

Since i spent 20 years in the USN i would not be surprised of some one has not approached the Veterans Administration and claimed that as a shoulder injury. I have seen 100% disability rulings for things that had absolutely no connection to the Military.

I came out of Vietnam after two weeks in the hospital and a non-combat profile. I still have breathing problems but the VA won't do anything because it was removed from my records.

Back
Top Bottom