World War I Training Camp

CJZKU93

Some friends and I went hunting a spot that was a training camp for WWI. I found a collar disk, a great seal button, a few equipment belt buckles and tent tensioners. The collar disk and the great seal button cleaned up very well.

Attachments

• best Finds Resized.jpg
    best Finds Resized.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 742
  • Regimental Collar Disk Great Seal Button resized.jpg
    Regimental Collar Disk Great Seal Button resized.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 733
  • Regimental Collar Disk Front After Cleaning Resized.jpg
    Regimental Collar Disk Front After Cleaning Resized.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 693
  • Great Seal Button Front Before Cleaning resized.jpg
    Great Seal Button Front Before Cleaning resized.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 681
  • Great Seal Button Front After Cleaning resized.jpg
    Great Seal Button Front After Cleaning resized.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 732
Collar Disc

That collar disc dates 1917-1918, NG is National Guard, there were also NA for National Army. The 144 is the unit number, this disc was worn on the right collar.

What is the headstamp on the partial cartridge casing?

I need to run it through my brass tumbler to clean it up and have not done that yet. One of the friends I was hunting with found a complete case that is head stamped FA 06. Frankford Arsenal 1906 production. I will work on my case and let you know.

diggin4clad
From what I found on the internet this style of collar disk that the Army introduced in 1917. The NG is for National Guard as jerrycoastalnc said. From what I found the 133rd could have been the 133rd Field Artillery (6 inch Howitzers) that was made up of the 1 Texas Field Artillery. Or it could have been the 133rd Machine Gun Battalion that was made up of the machine gun troops of the 1st Texas Cavalry.
It is funny that jerrycoastalnc typo-ed the 144 because the same friend that had the complete rifle case also found a collar disk from the 144 Infantry that was the old style that had the 144 at the top the crossed infantry rifles and K at the bottom.

We will be hunting that place some more to see what else we can find.

Nice historical finds, congrats! Theres gotta be some old coinage there too.

If infantry the 133rd was part of the 34th Division. Very nice disk. Should you choose to part with it let me know.

Charlie

So it is either Artillery or Machine Guns then.

That is the best information I have about the 133rd that was trained at Camp Bowie. My source was this website http://www.texasmilitaryforcesmuseum.org/gallery/ww1/cope.htm Since I was detecting a site that was part of Camp Bowie and my friends also sound collar disks from the 144th and 143rd regiments I went with this information. I will not claim that it would be the final say on the subject but it does seem to agree with the information I found.

From what I have I'll agree, the 36th trained at Camp Bowie. That is a nice disk. Most people usually find generic disks, so numbered ones are cool.

Charlie

Back
Top Bottom