Met the Principal

Scooterjim

Elite Member
What a great week to detect. After a very dry July we got a bunch of rain and the highs have been in the low 80's. The mornings are cool enough for a long sleeve shirt maybe even a light jacket, but I prefer to just soak up the cool. Yesterday I went to one of the local high schools that has a large park adjacent. It was slow moving because of all the clad. I had been there about 45 minutes and a guy comes up and asks if he can help me with anything. " Not unless you know where the treasures buried" He then introduced himself as the Principal and asked if I was looking for something specific and if I had permission from the school board to detect. I assured him that it was allowed as long as we didn't leave a mess. I showed him my beautiful plugs and all the sharp trash I had cleaned up as well as a wallet full of ids and credit cards I had just found. I asked if I could turn in the wallet to the school and he said sure I think the School Officer is still here. He called the officer [they are real cops] and as he drove into the parking lot I was a little worried about whether or not detecting is allowed. I have no idea if it's allowed and I don't think the Principal or the cop had any clue either. The Principal did say as we were parting ways that he had no problem with me being there. Less than 2 hours and I had a couple of bucks in modern change. I found a lot more nickles than I usually do. I don't know if it's because there was more there to find or because I'm getting better.

Way to go !!!! :thumbsup:

I think maybe the good plugs and sharp trash removal made a good impression on the principle where he's okay with you detecting there.

interesting story.

I wonder if the results would have been different under the following change of ingredients: Scooter-Jim picks up the phone (or sends a cold-call email) to that VERY SAME PRINCIPAL ahead of time. Asking "Hi, can I metal detect?". The principal gives the safe answer of "no". (after all, you just put it in his hands for princely say-so).

I have seen cases like this, where some duly-appointed official never bothers (or gives tacit approval like in your story's case) to an md'r. Yet that SAME duly-appointed person, if put in a position of having to say yes or no, will take the "safe" route (so as not to have something come back on him) and say "no".

Moral of the story ? Don't ask silly questions :)

interesting story.

I wonder if the results would have been different under the following change of ingredients: Scooter-Jim picks up the phone (or sends a cold-call email) to that VERY SAME PRINCIPAL ahead of time. Asking "Hi, can I metal detect?". The principal gives the safe answer of "no". (after all, you just put it in his hands for princely say-so).

I have seen cases like this, where some duly-appointed official never bothers (or gives tacit approval like in your story's case) to an md'r. Yet that SAME duly-appointed person, if put in a position of having to say yes or no, will take the "safe" route (so as not to have something come back on him) and say "no".

Moral of the story ? Don't ask silly questions :)

And your reply has something to do with anything here? What? Where do you you keep coming up with all controversial stuff like this? California the libtard state? This was a nice post until you popped in with your usual negative conspiracy theories! I for one think he did a FANTASTIC job in handling the situation and was granted hunting rights there by the Principal and security of all else. I think he did a better job of diplomacy for our sport than you could ever do with your mentality. BTW I have read many of your posts, What foil do you use to make your hats? Reynolds or Alcoa? And what style? Pointy or flat?

And your reply has something to do with anything here? What? Where do you you keep coming up with all controversial stuff like this? California the libtard state? This was a nice post until you popped in with your usual negative conspiracy theories! I for one think he did a FANTASTIC job in handling the situation and was granted hunting rights there by the Principal and security of all else. I think he did a better job of diplomacy for our sport than you could ever do with your mentality. BTW I have read many of your posts, What foil do you use to make your hats? Reynolds or Alcoa? And what style? Pointy or flat?

:laughing::tinfoilhat: I love this place...

WTG Scoot! I think you made a great impression, glad it all worked out for you. :yes:

.. I think he did a better job of diplomacy for our sport ....

So too did I think he did a fantastic job. Sorry that I saw from the story that here was a case of someone not having permission (at least not from this guy) who was .... after some casual chit-chat, allowed to continue. And from the tone of the principal at the intial outset, wondered if the story would have been different, if he'd gone to that very person at-the-outset.

Sorry 'bout that :(

:laughing::tinfoilhat: I love this place...

WTG Scoot! I think you made a great impression, glad it all worked out for you. :yes:

Thank you and I think think he did the right thing and gave this hobby credibility! To get respect needs to be earned like he did! This hobby is hard to get permissions yet an invite! Bravo!!!!

So too did I think he did a fantastic job. Sorry that I saw from the story that here was a case of someone not having permission (at least not from this guy) who was .... after some casual chit-chat, allowed to continue. And from the tone of the principal at the intial outset, wondered if the story would have been different, if he'd gone to that very person at-the-outset.

Sorry 'bout that :(

Ok....

! I for one think he did a FANTASTIC job in handling the situation and was granted hunting rights there by the Principal and security of all else. ?[/QUOTE said:
I don't think either one was giving me permission. I think the principal really didn't care and if he doesn't care the cop doesn't care. I'm sure the Principal knew I didn't know the rules either. They have always been able to see through my bs in the past.....distant past.

Way to go !!!! :thumbsup:

I think maybe the good plugs and sharp trash removal made a good impression on the principle where he's okay with you detecting there.

I NEVER start a hunt with an empty pouch. I always keep a few nasties stashed there in case I need them to help justify hunting. A few razor sharp chunks of can slaw and some rusty nails are often enough to stop naysayers in their tracks.

I don't think either one was giving me permission. I think the principal really didn't care and if he doesn't care the cop doesn't care. I'm sure the Principal knew I didn't know the rules either. They have always been able to see through my bs in the past.....distant past.

That's what I perceived from the context of your original post. In cases like this, if we md'rs simply tell them: "It's ok. The so & so entity doesn't care. As long as we leave no trace". That such confidence and assurance told to a lookie-lou often just assures them that: "Oh. Then I guess he knows what he's doing". :roll:

Rather than respond with a grovelling skittish evasive demeanor . Which will typically serve to go to a different result.

I NEVER start a hunt with an empty pouch. I always keep a few nasties stashed there in case I need them to help justify hunting. A few razor sharp chunks of can slaw and some rusty nails are often enough to stop naysayers in their tracks.

Great idea, Chip...why didn't I think of that?? I've been keeping a neat find or two handy just in case someone is curious - but it makes absolute sense to have a couple nasties available also, to help promote the do-gooder side of the hobby if approached by a doubter.

And great story, scooterjim - perfect example of a good way to handle a situation where you get challenged by someone who questions your right to be there, and potentially has the authority to do something about it. Based on the interaction you described, I think the worst possible outcome would have been the principal or officer politely asking you to stop detecting the grounds. Instead, your positive demeanor, good detecting ethics, and demonstration of a benefit to them (fewer sharp, rusty things in the ground), earned a "welcome" to detect and a name to drop in the future if ever challenged there again :cool:

Back
Top Bottom