Class Rings

georgeinsc

Elite Member
When did they start making class rings out of junk metal? I have found two class rings this year and both of them are from 2016 and both of them are made of Lustrium.

No value what so ever except sentiment value to the owner.

Before 1981.

This is about right . 1980-ish. I graduated from high school in 1980. Which was the years (late 1970s to 1980-ish) that gold prices started rising like crazy. All of the sudden , students could barely afford their class rings. So the ring companies, while I was still in high school , started offering them in other metals. Like gold plated, or silver , etc.... So I'm going to guess about 1980.

I've seen class rings that were made of silver after 1980. My daughter graduated high school in 1991 and she has a sterling silver class ring.

If remember correctly, there was a choice when I got mine. The real thing or something much cheaper. This was in the mid 80's, so sometime before the mid 80's...

I have only found two class rings. An unmarked gold ring from 1932 and a 1968 silver ring from a school clear across the country, also unmarked. My class ring from 1963 was the only gold ring that I ever owned until I got married. i ended up losing both of them. My class ring in an old barn while stacking hay and my wedding ring during a test of a new poison gas suit while in the Army.

Last edited:
My college class ring from 1981 is palladium. I see though that palladium is getting pretty expensive these days. It wasn't so much so back then.

Back
Top Bottom