Anyone near Redwood City, CA?

pryan67

Forum Supporter
I'm going out there next month for a week and was wondering if anyone has any knowledge of the laws out there regarding beaches (like half moon bay) or parks? I'd like to take my detector with me, but if it's more trouble than it's worth I won't bother checking a bag

I'm going out there next month for a week and was wondering if anyone has any knowledge of the laws out there regarding beaches (like half moon bay) or parks? I'd like to take my detector with me, but if it's more trouble than it's worth I won't bother checking a bag

Half Moon bay is routinely detected, no problem. Those are all state administered beaches (maybe some city beaches too?) And city & state of CA beaches have just always ever been md'd with no issues here.

Or ... you can go with the technical answer: Since the state park's dept. that administers them , is the exact same park's dept that administers the inland parks, then .... technically: The same "cultural heritage issues" would apply. Ie.: you can't find a 50 or more year old coin. So ... naturally you will bring your calculator along, right ?

Or .... surely the states lost & found laws apply. So if you find a ring worth over $100, you will turn it in to the police dept.

And ... surely, the IRS and state income taxes apply. So you will certainly list the income of the clad on your taxes.

And ... surely ... you should check with the proper authorities as to whether "harvest and remove" clauses apply. And/or "alter and deface" (you're going to dig after all).

Or you can be like everyone else here, and just go Half moon bay is routinely detected :)

One rule you *should* be appraised of is: You have to send Tom_in_CA a 30% cut of all your finds made in CA. After all, it's in print now. And if you doubt this rule, just email me and I'll confirm it. I accept paypal. :cool:

Half Moon bay is routinely detected, no problem. Those are all state administered beaches (maybe some city beaches too?) And city & state of CA beaches have just always ever been md'd with no issues here.

Or ... you can go with the technical answer: Since the state park's dept. that administers them , is the exact same park's dept that administers the inland parks, then .... technically: The same "cultural heritage issues" would apply. Ie.: you can't find a 50 or more year old coin. So ... naturally you will bring your calculator along, right ?

Or .... surely the states lost & found laws apply. So if you find a ring worth over $100, you will turn it in to the police dept.

And ... surely, the IRS and state income taxes apply. So you will certainly list the income of the clad on your taxes.

And ... surely ... you should check with the proper authorities as to whether "harvest and remove" clauses apply. And/or "alter and deface" (you're going to dig after all).

Or you can be like everyone else here, and just go Half moon bay is routinely detected :)

One rule you *should* be appraised of is: You have to send Tom_in_CA a 30% cut of all your finds made in CA. After all, it's in print now. And if you doubt this rule, just email me and I'll confirm it. I accept paypal. :cool:

Well, I'm 50 myself, so it will be easy for me to determine if it's too old :) As for notifying the police if I find anything valued at more than 100 dollars, of course....The only potential issue there is that I don't consider trinkets "valuable"...that yellow stuff that people find, that's just pot metal to me....now a drilled penny, THAT'S worth something, since it was someone's labor of "love" and therefore priceless...

Thanks for the info...for everything that I find that I report to the IRSS, I'll send you 30%...

If anyone is available and in the area between the 8th and 13th, let me know...maybe we can get together and detect

There's some cliffy areas, on each end of the bay, where the beach gets real narrow. And the sand is shallow d/t the waves can potentially come all the way to the cliffs. When the sand is stripped during winter erosion times, leaving just boulders in the tide-pools: Some guys I knew of up there have made sport of simply going through the tidepools, turning over boulders, which have acted as gravity traps for metal targets. I've seen some cool old coins found that way. (oops, I meant new coins).

There's some cliffy areas, on each end of the bay, where the beach gets real narrow. And the sand is shallow d/t the waves can potentially come all the way to the cliffs. When the sand is stripped during winter erosion times, leaving just boulders in the tide-pools: Some guys I knew of up there have made sport of simply going through the tidepools, turning over boulders, which have acted as gravity traps for metal targets. I've seen some cool old coins found that way. (oops, I meant new coins).

Thanks...I'll have to check that out and try to find some modern clad...hopefully some that has been converted to silver from the seawater.

Back
Top Bottom