Lake Delton, Wisconsin Dam Break

geodawn

Forum Supporter
Wisconsin was slammed this past weekend with heavy rains and tornadoes. The rains were so heavy that Lake Delton's earthen dam burst emptying the Lake into the Wisconsin River. There were several homes and boats that were washed away in the dam break. If you ever been to the Wisconsin Dells and rode on the duck boats, then you've crossed a portion of Lake Delton.

Almost immediately, locals with metal detectors made their way out to the lake. It's about 260 acres in size and is completely empty. I've taken a vacation day tomorrow to drive up with my detector and possibly see what I can find. I'll play it by ear, but I don't think this is scavenging from others losses since I'm just in an empty lake bed - apparently there are real scavengers down river harvesting from the lost homes and other property that washed away. You just don't get to see something like this everyday.

Video of other detectorists...
http://www.c3ktogo.com/news-video/?mgid=16734

Lots of pictures and amazing videos...
http://www.channel3000.com/news/16551812/detail.html#

Bet the fish had a heck of a rush. Now they are fighting the current in the river. Good luck. You may stumble across some good finds..................................

I have been by there before and often wondered what "Dells" refers to.

I had to look it up...

"The term “dells” comes from the French word “dalles,” which early French explorers applied to scenic river gorges in the northern United States"

The more you know!

Wow.... I drove through there on that very road just 10 days ago. It was a gorgeous setting and now the lake itself is drained dry.....unbelievable. :(

Mother nature plays no favorites. Amazing. What was lakefront property is now mudhole property. But with time and planning, will be back. I am sure the government will help.......................Right!

I had heard about this, but hadn't seen any pictures of it--it's pretty amazing! I think the line between scavenging and treasure hunting is pretty self-evident: if someone's coin collection or something similar is found, I think it would be right to turn it over to the authorities, the same with jewelry; you could really do someone a tremendous favor! No telling what's lurking in there.

Some time ago , they drained a lake here to work on the dam. People found all sorts of things including boat motors and stuff!:shock:

Great opportunity..... as far as the misfortune of the poor homeowners, perhaps some MD'rs can help them find some of their 'treasures'.. RickO

As george said, the lake is simply a drained lake now. Apparently the rise in water raised the wisconsin river to the point where houses fell in. All the belongings went down the river. Like looting after a tornado, only this time the water took it away. Same thing happened at Johnston City, IL. many years ago. No homes involved, but lake was totally drained from levee break................................

Ahh yes...Lake Delton

I was thinking about some of my past hunts, and remember going to Lake Delton a couple days after the dam broke. Today, I did a forum search for "Lake Delton", and found this old thread. I have something to add. I drove about 3 hrs to get there. It was an amazing sight. Boat docks were 10 feet overhead. The muck was not friendly! I could only work the edges. I was in serious danger of losing my knee high muck boots. Anyway, It was all soda and beer cans, and I did not have time to clean them out, so I moved on to the sandbars. I did dig up a 5 or 6 gallon copper boiler filled with big rocks. Probably a homemade anchor. I also found 2 real anchors, but gave them to the "anchor guy" who was pulling them from all over...all day long! Then I started getting targets; fishing jigs & weights, 2 or 3 bucks in clad coins. Nothing to show off. Then, after about 3 hrs, I dug this huge 8" "live" round! My friend said the black color means it was a blank round, and maybe it fell off one of the duck boats, when they used to have the big belts of rounds hanging on them??
Anyway, this is still one of my all time favorite finds.

Attachments

• DSCN1348.jpg
    DSCN1348.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 312
  • DSCN1352.jpg
    DSCN1352.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 325
  • DSCN1353.jpg
    DSCN1353.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 333
Some time ago , they drained a lake here to work on the dam. People found all sorts of things including boat motors and stuff!:shock:

A number of years ago they lowered a local lake to repair the dam. the swimming are as left dry. I didn't hear about it until over a week later. I took my detector and went to try my luck. The whole area looked like a moonscape from all of the holes. I left for the day with a penny, a post earring and the back from another. I heard later that several gold rings were found. I only wish that I could have gotten there sooner.

A few years ago we had a big rain that flooded a nearby lake and overtopped the levee. They lowered the lake level to avoid a levee collapse. This left the swimming area high and dry. I made many great finds including over a dozen gold rings. You can read about part of my adventure in Western and Eastern Treasure Dec 2013 issue.

Back
Top Bottom