How far do you typically travel to do MDing?

I work out of town quite a bit so when I drive or fly to another state I'll carry my MD gear with me and hunt during the evenings.

Not quite the same as leaving the house for the sole purpose of hunting but when I research a town and surrounding areas to MD that I'll be working in, it makes the trip more enjoyable.. :lol:

Exactly what I do too! It makes a business trip exciting and keeps a traveling man out of a lot worse kinds of trouble!!

Normally I stick within 30 miles or so of home, but if I get the urge to wander farther I will. When my sister and I get the chance to take a little vacation (which we try to do every year or every other year) we both bring our detectors.

Researching avaliable sites on the internet helped.

The more research i do the less traveling is needed. When i first started i was travling a lot farther to find good sites, now usally no more than 30 minutes after researching all the towns and cities in a 30 minute drive from the house.

Exactly what I do too! It makes a business trip exciting and keeps a traveling man out of a lot worse kinds of trouble!!

Oh yeah, there are too many looming temptations out there for a weary traveler to be getting in to. I enjoy the research just as much as the actual hunt sometimes, especially in an area steeped in history.

Minimum 16 hour bus ride. Typically stay near the beach for several days... then back to the mountain cave and work. Spend a lot of time researching old photos and blogs so I know exactly where to hit. Learning hookah now to get the places I couldn't before... sometimes a picture doesn't tell the entire story until I actually investigate it myself

Last edited:
as far as it takes. i would fly to europe if i had the money and a place to detect

Some days you might feel in a casual mode to travel too far, but hopefully a little farther than this :laughing::laughing::laughing:
casual_detectorist.jpg

Well I'm kinda limited by the fact I have neither license nor car, so I pretty much stick around where I can reach on my bike. If my parents are going somewhere and there is a place I want to detect nearby, I'll just hitch a ride if it's not out of their way.

Being limited to a smaller area forces you to think creatively about where people might've lost things so you can keep finding new spots at places you've detected before. That's what I've been doing most of this year.

Back
Top Bottom