Newport & Balboa beaches

Nice negative tide today around 1:30pm, I would definitely hit it up if I didn't have to work today...:(

I'd hit it if my poles/straight shaft and scoop weren't still in Florida with the wife and kids awaiting their later arrival tomorrow in our checked bags. (hummmm, I did bring the Excal back with me and do have the old standard shaft...) :roll: I had a great time there and got a bit of gold too!

Only had two hours to spend before having to take the wife to Mitsuwa in Costa Mesa, so I decided on hitting Balboa Beach. That was a mistake, should have opted for Newport Beach instead. Got 6 pennies for my efforts, two of them are real toast. :(

Looks like its been hit hard.

"Only had two hours to spend before having to take the wife to Mitsuwa in Costa Mesa"

Hey Rudy,
you are an OC guy eh? I love going to Mitsuwa, I buy the mochi and furikake and love the fresh bread there. My kids and wife love the rice crackers...

Glad I didn't follow my impulse as I was gonna head out to Pirate's Cove today at noon...

Hey Rudy,
you are an OC guy eh? I love going to Mitsuwa, I buy the mochi and furikake and love the fresh bread there. My kids and wife love the rice crackers...

Glad I didn't follow my impulse as I was gonna head out to Pirate's Cove today at noon...

Hey Hubbit, what's an OC? :?:

I am afraid mochi is not on my top 10 list of Japanese foods ... right up there with nato. Japanese baked goods (bread, pastries,...) are delicious.:eat3:

We like lunching there at one of the food outlets in the dining area. Great food at incredibly low prices.

Do you also go to the nearby Marukai? I like the adjacent bookstore and rummaging through the used books while the wife shops for some japanese music CDs.

I love going to Mitsuwa, I buy the mochi and furikake and love the fresh bread there. My kids and wife love the rice crackers...
Hi Rudy. I go there often too. Love the sushi from the market there, while my girlfriend waits in line at the noodle house in the food court.

I've been wanting to detect at some of our local beaches, but the turf keeps calling me.

Take care,

Raphis
Dan

Hi Rudy. I go there often too. Love the sushi from the market there, while my girlfriend waits in line at the noodle house in the food court.

I've been wanting to detect at some of our local beaches, but the turf keeps calling me.

Take care,

Raphis
Dan

Hi Dan,

Yeah, the noodle shop gets a lot of business. There is now another noodle shop at the other end (by the televisions) that also has tempura... makes me hungry just to think about it.

Hey Hubbit, what's an OC? :?:

I am afraid mochi is not on my top 10 list of Japanese foods ... right up there with nato. Japanese baked goods (bread, pastries,...) are delicious.:eat3:

We like lunching there at one of the food outlets in the dining area. Great food at incredibly low prices.

Do you also go to the nearby Marukai? I like the adjacent bookstore and rummaging through the used books while the wife shops for some japanese music CDs.

Rudy-

Since I'm an Air Force Brat, lived in Japan for 3 years and my mom is Japanese, I grew up on all the food! Nato on rice is good! Ramen and soba and gohan are the staples I grew up on. Marukai is a little further off the 55 Fwy and the wife, a Canadian of French and Hungarian descent doesn't get that into it to let me drive any further (and she hates seafood!).:no:

Rudy-

Since I'm an Air Force Brat, lived in Japan for 3 years and my mom is Japanese, I grew up on all the food! Nato on rice is good! Ramen and soba and gohan are the staples I grew up on. Marukai is a little further off the 55 Fwy and the wife, a Canadian of French and Hungarian descent doesn't get that into it to let me drive any further (and she hates seafood!).:no:

My wife is Japanese, born and raised. :yes: I love most Japanese food, but the nato, moshi and the pickled plums are not high on my list. I'd take shiokara over them any time. :lol:

I was born and raised in so Cal and did a fair amount of beach detecting in the past thirty years. Never had much luck at Balboa, but Newport especially around the area known as ''the wedge'' was always good to me. Found alot of jewelry there including a heavy gold ring I wear from time to time today. I've heard Balboa has alot of history and had an amusement area near where the pier is. I remember reading a story about the area being torn up a few years ago for construction and people making some great finds with their detectors. Lots of silver. HH

I was born and raised in so Cal and did a fair amount of beach detecting in the past thirty years. Never had much luck at Balboa, but Newport especially around the area known as ''the wedge'' was always good to me. Found alot of jewelry there including a heavy gold ring I wear from time to time today. I've heard Balboa has alot of history and had an amusement area near where the pier is. I remember reading a story about the area being torn up a few years ago for construction and people making some great finds with their detectors. Lots of silver. HH

I am a relatively recent transplant to SoCal. What part of Newport Beach is "the wedge"?

Back
Top Bottom