Here's what to look for to find bottle dumps in the woods

GLASSHOPPER1955

Elite Member
OK all you bottle hunters, it is now time to hit the woods to look for those bottle dumps before the vegitation hides everything. Here's what to look for, and these are the easy ones. The dumps hidden below ground with nothing on the surface - harder to find without MDing or probing. Also, check along creeks, in ravines and low-lying areas for anything that is "foreign" to the landscape. Even old pitcher pumps in the woods are signs of an earlier homestead. Dumps are everywhere waiting to be found. Happy hunting and let's see those finds!

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 16,026
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 16,966
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 14,374
  • d.jpg
    d.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 14,432
  • e.jpg
    e.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 14,142
  • ravine dump.jpg
    ravine dump.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 13,661
  • crock.jpg
    crock.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 13,669
  • pump.jpg
    pump.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 14,020
OK all you bottle hunters, it is now time to hit the woods to look for those bottle dumps before the vegitation hides everything. Here's what to look for, and these are the easy ones. The dumps hidden below ground with nothing on the surface - harder to find without MDing or probing. Happy hunting and let's see those finds!

I only wish I could find a spot like this. I have walked the woods, rivers, creeks, etc. but have yet to stumble upon any such site. Maybe it's time to take another trip to the woods. This would be great, any tips? I have been told just walk the waters edge (rivers) and sooner or later you should find something, maybe.

Forgot to add, I have searched and searched for old dump sites but just haven't been able to locate any as of yet, well, at least none with bottles. I have found old mattresses, refrigerators and such.

I like the old bottles and not long ago came across a huge bottle dump while detecting. I had no way of carrying any of it but I did manage to grab the easiest one to get to which was a fluted Dr.Pepper. Have no idea what it's worth and wondered if I should go back to the site.

Here in lower Mich there are thousands of mid-late 1800's farms with old dumps on the back forty. Many times the garbage was dumped over a ravine or edge of swamp. It's difficult to notfind the bottle dumps at times.

Nice pics. It is finally drying up a bit here. Went by the place I've been hitting pretty hard the past couple of years and the creek (overflow of a lumber mill pond from the 1800s) is still pretty high. It's a few feet deep until the end of spring. It gets to about 2" with I don't know how many feet of muck.
Deep enough to scare me. Was standing on what I thought was just the wet, grassy bank.
My foot bumped what looked like the tip of an arm on an anchor.
Ended up being an old front quarter panel with a pedal still attached. Deadlifted it out of 3' of muck that I was standing on.
Be careful when exploring this spring.

I hope you grabbed that Pepsi !

I plan on doing some snorkeling/diving in creeks/lakes this year for old bottles.

in this day and age most suffuse dumps have been dug up ( every body seems to be looking for a quick buck ). you need to look for ravens and places no one will go. like the ghetto part of town and deep in the woods. cheek out old usgs maps of your area and good luck.;)

in this day and age most suffuse dumps have been dug up ( every body seems to be looking for a quick buck ). you need to look for ravens and places no one will go. like the ghetto part of town and deep in the woods. cheek out old usgs maps of your area and good luck.;)
Interesting. So you mean crows can lead you to old dumps?

Back
Top Bottom