Lake Superior Agates

teotwawki12

Elite Member
Ok.....this isn't metal detecting but I'll be back digging holes next time....

Left the detector at home and went to Lake Superior for a weekend. Only got one afternoon which wasn't in the upper 30's with driving rain to hunt rocks, so we got what we got. Kiddo and I found a few keepers and picked up some fossils along the way.

Got one nice white agate in the freezing rain before I got too cold.

Attachments

• KIMG1235.jpg
    KIMG1235.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 504
  • KIMG1223.jpg
    KIMG1223.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 473
  • KIMG1224.jpg
    KIMG1224.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 503
  • KIMG1228.jpg
    KIMG1228.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 487
  • KIMG1230.jpg
    KIMG1230.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 494
  • KIMG1237.jpg
    KIMG1237.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 422
  • KIMG1226.jpg
    KIMG1226.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 437
  • KIMG1233.jpg
    KIMG1233.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 426
  • KIMG1232.jpg
    KIMG1232.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 469
  • KIMG1231.jpg
    KIMG1231.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 479
  • KIMG1240.jpg
    KIMG1240.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 435
  • KIMG1241.jpg
    KIMG1241.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 449
  • DSCN0480.jpg
    DSCN0480.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 445
  • DSCN0481.jpg
    DSCN0481.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 456
  • KIMG1243.jpg
    KIMG1243.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 489
Those are beautiful! I have always been fascinated with agates. Cool finds, and congrats on the time spent with your kiddo! :waytogo:

Pretty cool!!

Next time you'll have to look at night with a UV flashlight and find some yooperlights too..

<°)))>{

Neat looking assortment, thanks for sharing !

I'm sorta a very amateur rockhound, (more like a childhood fascination with neat looking rocks that has continued into my adult "childhood" :lol:)

We have 1 1/2 acres of ground next to a forest and I was surprised at some of the neat looking rocks I found right on our own land.

Pretty cool!!

Next time you'll have to look at night with a UV flashlight and find some yooperlights too..

<°)))>{

I saw that yooperlites have become a popular thing...they were even selling uv lights at the local beer store for 20 bucks or so. I’ll leave em for Mudpuppy

I saw that yooperlites have become a popular thing...they were even selling uv lights at the local beer store for 20 bucks or so. I’ll leave em for Mudpuppy

All them rocks in your pic would've had yooperlites in them should've bought the black light. If you really want a yooperlite and you are near the fenton area send me a pm . I have around 500 of them .

All them rocks in your pic would've had yooperlites in them should've bought the black light. If you really want a yooperlite and you are near the fenton area send me a pm . I have around 500 of them .

:wow: 500? They must be relatively common? Those things are really cool, thought they were more scarce than that ...
Really nice agates teo, I would love to rock hunt like that someday. We dont have much in terms of prospecting up in the northeast. Good luck and happy hunting!

:wow: 500? They must be relatively common? Those things are really cool, thought they were more scarce than that ...
Really nice agates teo, I would love to rock hunt like that someday. We dont have much in terms of prospecting up in the northeast. Good luck and happy hunting!

Have 6 5 gallon buckets of them had over 20 at one point sold a bunch to lapidary guys.

Nice collection of rocks. And time well spent with family.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Very nice finds....Is that digging tool a Estwing? Did not know they made tools like that, it looks to have an Estwing handle on it.....HH :cool: :cool3:

That is awesome stuff. I have always been a rock hound myself. Growing up there was petrified wood everywhere. We had a rock polisher and would put them into that. Real pretty stuff sometimes. now I wish I had saved it all because people buy that kind of stuff now. Neat finds and great thread!!

Very nice finds....Is that digging tool a Estwing? Did not know they made tools like that, it looks to have an Estwing handle on it.....HH :cool: :cool3:

Yep, the old Estwing.....got that one in the early 90’s. I believe Estwing discontinued the rock scoop some time ago. Good eye!

Edit...per this ad they discontinued them in 2004

Back
Top Bottom