Best Large Beach Coil for Sovereign GT?

ZeeDee

Hi everyone, I use a Minelab sovereign GT for beach detecting and am looking to get a new coil for this summer. I am looking for a large coil that can be purchased new, and I’m leaning towards the NEL 15” Attack coil or the Detech SEF 15 x 12 coil. Has anyone used these coils and could you tell about your experience? I also read about the WOT (big orange coil from Coiltek) but it doesn’t sound worth it. I do have smaller coils in my arsenal but want something with greater coverage that does well in the dry/wet sand. Any help would be much appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hate gigantic coils. They weigh too much. They are hard to pinpoint with. Especially in water. They have more resistance in the water. The SEF 12 x 10 was my favorite. When I beach hunt I go where the situation dictates with dry sand being the least desirable because of the trash. My detector set up needs to be able to handle what ever presents itself. From the dry sand to the splash zone to knee deep. Deeper if the detector is waterproof. The 12 x 10 was a good choice for any of it.

Thanks for the reply! I will look into the 12 x 10. Any experience with the sunray s-12? I have used it on the Jersey shore a bit with decent results. I have also tried it in the dirt in PA without much luck (probably bc of the farm I was detecting instead of the coil). My plan for this summer is to clean out the Jersey shore of all it’s gold rings, both dropped recently and farther down in the sand [emoji41] Want to make sure I am using the right tool for the job!

Thanks for the reply! I will look into the 12 x 10. Any experience with the sunray s-12? I have used it on the Jersey shore a bit with decent results. I have also tried it in the dirt in PA without much luck (probably bc of the farm I was detecting instead of the coil). My plan for this summer is to clean out the Jersey shore of all it’s gold rings, both dropped recently and farther down in the sand [emoji41] Want to make sure I am using the right tool for the job!

I hear Jersey is iron laden....Good luck!

ZeeDee

I run the 10x12 on the Gt , however , i just put the nel tornado 12x13 on the Excal 800, this coil will be more stable at the beach than the 15 Attack coil, and it is more sensitive to small gold than the Attack coil, the 12X13 Tornado for the Sov Gt & Excaliburs, it comes wired with a Gt end, its a nice coil , happy bunting, Earl. Ps pm me if you want to know were you can get one.

I used to have your problem

but not anymore

Attachments

• IMG_1410.jpg
    IMG_1410.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 675
I hear Jersey is iron laden....Good luck!

Yes, I’ve noticed a good amount of iron. The discrimination mode on the GT has been key. I can’t imagine hunting the Jersey shore with a PI machine! [emoji1787]

Yes, I've let the 4th and 5th ones go and I have others that are PI's.

White's TDI and Detector Pro pulses.

The Florida Treasure coast is busy detector place.

I have used the Detech 13 Ultimate coil for the coverage. I used it on the wet sand and dry sand Sensitivity did need to be adjusted as one transitioned from one medium to the other. Dug my first gold ring with it. I also have used the Sef 10X12 and it also worked good. I did not try using them in the water. The 13 was one of the early models that did not say that it was waterproof. But I got the Xcal and quit taking the GT to the beach. I still use the 13 from time to time when detecting large open areas.

Yes, I've let the 4th and 5th ones go and I have others that are PI's.

White's TDI and Detector Pro pulses.

The Florida Treasure coast is busy detector place.

Cool! Ahh, my dream is to have a house in Florida so I can detect the treasure coast all day. I used to live in South Florida and detected Key West once when I was on vacation. Ever find any artifacts from Spanish shipwrecks?

I have used the Detech 13 Ultimate coil for the coverage. I used it on the wet sand and dry sand Sensitivity did need to be adjusted as one transitioned from one medium to the other. Dug my first gold ring with it. I also have used the Sef 10X12 and it also worked good. I did not try using them in the water. The 13 was one of the early models that did not say that it was waterproof. But I got the Xcal and quit taking the GT to the beach. I still use the 13 from time to time when detecting large open areas.

That is good to know, the 13 “ Ultimate may be a wise choice since I am mainly looking for increased depth. I think the NEL coils may have come out later for the GT and weren’t available when it was oroginally released. I am wondering if Detech or NEL coils overall work better with the GT and it’s BBS technology.

No experience with the NEL coils but did use a Sunray S-12 for a while. It also worked well but I was coil poor so I sold it.

Back
Top Bottom