First time detecting, and first silver!

Nice going! Looks like that Barska is well on it's way paying for itself. The TRX and 'nox 800 are some high end, serious pieces of equipment that are very capable of paying for themselves too. Retirement? Well, you got the hobby part covered.
That is a cool digger, btw. Should be a good tool, usually, but in hard dirt, gravel, etc., you'll probably be wanting something even tougher.
Welcome to the hobby!

You're Hooked Now...

What a fantastic first hunt...if I were you I'd work over the yard with the Barska first and then see what's left with the Equinox - and then do the exact opposite in the back yard. Best way to learn two detectors at once....I've been detecting on and off for 35+ years and have logged almost 16 hours with the Equinox - and I can tell you it's exciting to run new detecting processes over "hunted out" ground!

Keep us posted! :D

Nice going! Looks like that Barska is well on it's way paying for itself. The TRX and 'nox 800 are some high end, serious pieces of equipment that are very capable of paying for themselves too. Retirement? Well, you got the hobby part covered.
That is a cool digger, btw. Should be a good tool, usually, but in hard dirt, gravel, etc., you'll probably be wanting something even tougher.
Welcome to the hobby!
Any suggestions on a small shovel???, i like to buy things once. Lol yea i am retiring from flooring installing, im not selling my tools just yet, but i have been installing floors since i was 12, im 32 now. Its really tough on the body and after a rough last few years for a number of reasons, i am just ready to do something else. Also, I wouldnt have found half the stuff i am finding if it werent for that pinpointer, im finding targets in less than 30 seconds most of the time.

What a fantastic first hunt...if I were you I'd work over the yard with the Barska first and then see what's left with the Equinox - and then do the exact opposite in the back yard. Best way to learn two detectors at once....I've been detecting on and off for 35+ years and have logged almost 16 hours with the Equinox - and I can tell you it's exciting to run new detecting processes over "hunted out" ground!

Keep us posted! :D
That was the plan :), im very curious to see if there is any deeper silver near the coin spill. Stay tuned, because it wont be long, i just bought the nox600 from the FS detectors on this site. I already have several outings planned for this summer and cannot wait for the 800, im hearing it could be as long as 6 months. Read on another forum that kellyco has over 1000 on backorder and every dealer has quite a list of at least 40 backordered and it seems they havnt filled all the preorders yet.

Any suggestions on a small shovel???, i like to buy things once.

You need a good handheld digger, and may want a longer shovel-digger too. In the accessories forum, they say good things about Hori-Hori knife type diggers, or Lesche or WHite's Digmaster type tools. It sort of depends on the terrain you hunt, and your own "weapon style" preference. Some coinshooters are very proficient with just a decent screwdriver. This style requires more precision than brute force.
Consider sturdiness: You should be able to stand on it to pry something stubborn! (unless you're popping coins with a screwdriver)
{Disclaimer: Never stand on your digger to pry something!}:roll:
Comfort: Your hand will be working against the handle repeatedly, and firmly.
Weight and SIze: You will likely be carrying your digger more than holstering it, so think about that.
Do a little research, and get a good one...or 2. The accessories forum has lots of discussions with pics, etc.

I found this at the menards for a hand digger. The handle on the other shovel was hurting my hand after a few hours of use. For 8$ this garden knife seems solid. I tried to bend the blade by stepping on it and its solid shank into the handle.

Attachments

• IMG_20180409_28241.jpg
    IMG_20180409_28241.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 59
My nox600 showed up today, charged it and went out to give it a try. I have been watching videos of how to use the nox and i took some coins out to air test the signals and see what numbers came up. That went fine and my numbers were the same as other youtube users. So I started with using park 2, and let me just stop to say i have no idea what im doing. Everywhere I went nonstop noise and numbers. I did the ground balance thingy and still constant chatter. I did manage to get a repeat signal a couple times, used the pinpointer function and i dug, and i dug, a few mighty big holes. I will say this thing does go deep, i found a .22 casing about 9" down and so old when i picked it up it cracked. Also dug 2 deep wheaties and another lincoln memorial, a washer and a couple other peices of trash, and a couple holes i thought i had a good signal, in the 30s and dug a foot and nothing. So Im like, what gives? Theres no way im going to be digging huge "bleeping" holes like this in the park. :mad: So i came inside and downloaded the manual and figured out theres this little thing called noise cancel. :laughing: Maybe this will go a little better next time i go out.

So i came inside and downloaded the manual and figured out theres this little thing called noise cancel. :laughing: Maybe this will go a little better next time i go out.

Your Chatter/noise problems sound pretty similar to what has been posted by ScubaDetector and others, while learning the Equinox. I don't know the answers, but don't be surprised if the noise cancel function doesn't cut it. They often say to lower the sensitivity. Ground balance too. Lots of good advice for that machine in the forums here...Read up, work with it, tweak away, work some more, find the goods, and have a good time.

I have been home with my daughter (7months) all day, so after charging i only got to play with it for about 45 minutes, during naptime. I read the manual this evening and went back outside for 30 minutes, after the noise cancel, and i did the ground balance again, it was like day and night. Started getting solid signals, dug 2 more wheaties that were 6"+ deep, and a clad nickle, id numbers were 12/13 for the nickle. My yard is small and i think i got most everything out of it except all the nails from putting on a new roof. Its so much more advanced than my 40$ barska pro, which i would decribe as only having 2 sounds that were almost identical. It beeps, you dig. Not so with the nox, and good target ids. I figured out 17/18 are bits of aluminum from the siding on the house. I can see why people are loving thier noxs once they learn them, just need more time swinging it. Weather looks terrible this weekend, rain and thunderstorms, turning to some snow on sunday. Probably going to get the rain gear out and head to the park.

That digger should work. That looks a lot tougher than most garden trowels. It looks too shiny, though. Better get out there and put it to the test! GL

And i just broke it today prying a plug out. I Just had to learn for myself. Ordered the Lesche handdigger.

And i just broke it today prying a plug out. I Just had to learn for myself. Ordered the Lesche handdigger.

The Lesche will last a LONG time - I used one for years and eventually had to order a new one due to the fact that it became 1.5" shorter than when new! It took about 4 years of digging 2-3x per week to accomplish this feat, but then again, I'm rough on my equipment :grin:

...aannd there you have it. Menards strikes again. :facepalm: (take it back for a refund)
Good call on the Lesche. You will likely appreciate the right tool for the job more, now, than if you just started with it.:digginahole:

I stopped out at a park yesterday morning, glad i did because now we have snow on the ground and are expecting 1-3" today. The park was really trashy, had park 2 mode on the nox 600, noise canceled and ground balanced. I managed 1.37 in all modern clad(9 nickels, 6 dimes, 1 quarter, the rest cents) and plenty of trash at about a 1/1 coin trash ratio for what I dug. I did find a childs coin purse laying on the ground, i always keep finding stuff to put my stuff in while I am out hunting :D . Nickels were abundant at this park, and were reading nice and strong 12/13. I dug quite a few beaver tails that were 11/12 sometimes flash 13. Never got the 11 when it was a nickel. I will add my 11k gold wedding band air tested at 13. It is highly unlikely i would find gold in this park, i did not notch out 1-11 in park 2, like many do when coinshooting, and there were 100s of hits in that range that i did not dig. I think my goal for this week is to dig a spot in my yard and bury some common targets and common trash and see what they read in the ground in multi and then 5, 10, and 15 khz. Perhaps the change to single frequency on certain targets could tell whether thats a good target to dig, or just trash. I am really itching to bury some small womens gold jewerly, and chains, and see what the target numbers come in at. I also should carry a small notepad and start keeping track of the numbers I am getting from targets i dig and identify. I have been watching quite a few videos on youtube of people using thier equinox and they really do a poor job of showing the numbers they are getting on a given target at a given depth, so testing on my own will likely be a lot more benefit to me learning this machine vs watching youtube. My new lesche digger came today, i am looking to get out to a park monday or tuesday this week.

Back
Top Bottom