Found my first Civil War era relic

turtlefoot

Headstamp Addict
Okay everyone, I'm a happy camper tonight. I went out in an area that had a LOT of logging activity in the 1880's-1890's. I found a few logging relics including the hook in the bottom pic, but this is the winner tonight. It is a Civil War era heart shaped harness buckle shield. This part of the Ozarks had Union soldiers all over it.

I do know that there is some controversy over this buckle shield, as I have been reading, so that is why I am saying Civil War era. I am pretty stoked! Thanks for looking.

Doug

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

horsebuckle.jpg

From a Web site selling Civil War Relics

picture.php

Logging Hook

Here is a great link that I found. It actually gives two reference books and the page numbers that they are found on.

http://civilwarartifactshoppe.com/s...-BUCKLE-SHIELDS.html?shop_param=cid=1&aid=13&

One more interesting thing. I went to Google Earth to plot today's finds, and this buckle was found around 50-60 yards from the 44 caliber round ball that I found some time ago. I will have to look up and see when I actually found the round ball, but I think it was in late 2009.

Thanks for the comments guys.
Doug

Great find

Those are some great finds Doug. I really like the buckle. Keep hitting that spot there might be some more goodies. Posted another B+W photo. You have sparked my interest in B+W.

NICE FINDS there Turtlefoot! I love your pic's too. I WANT to find me some CW relics (haven't yet) and I absolutely love finding WHEATIES. Wheaties are probably my favorite thing to find, I've always loved wheat pennies ever since I got my first one from my Great-Grandfather as a kid.

Keep up the good work!

Those are some great finds Doug. I really like the buckle. Keep hitting that spot there might be some more goodies. Posted another B+W photo. You have sparked my interest in B+W.

I really hope that there are some more good finds! Up until this find, it has been my go to place when I couldn't go anywhere else. I think that is going to change. I took a look at your image! It is great! You know what's funny, you have me looking at saturated color as my subject for several of my images for school. :yes:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks everyone for all of the comments and for looking at my thread. I really appreciate it.

HH,
Doug

WTG! Awesome relics! Relics around here walk stooped over and carry a detector! HH..C-Dog

WTG! Awesome relics! Relics around here walk stooped over and carry a detector! HH..C-Dog
I tell you, I felt like a true relic this morning when I got up! School has kept me from digging like I would like to and I was sore.

...and your exact piece is going for $50 on this page
http://www.gettysburgaddress.com/HTMLS/Souvenirs-civil-war-relic.html
Nice fine:yes:

That's a great link. It's nice seeing this item for sale from Civil War Relic dealers.

Doug

Back
Top Bottom