WWII era military uniform button

pete k

Hey all. I got permission to detect an old vacant home and have found some pretty cool things like a couple of old toy cars, toy pistol, a spill of 50 copper mems (someone must have dropped a roll of pennies in the 70s), a Schaefer "Circle of Sports" club member pendant, a 1932 Canadian penny and about six or seven wheats from 1930 to '58.
Among these, and my favorite find at this spot so far, is this WWII era military uniform button I dug up at about 4"-5" as a penny signal. I did some googling and ID'ed it (http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ukdfddata/showrecords.php?product=11687&cat=all).
I scrubbed it with soap on a toothbrush under running water but can't seem to get all the dirt off. Anyone know of a safe way to further clean it? Also, does anyone have an idea what the second pictured thing is? I forget how close to the button it was but it seems to be a decorative piece to something fancy. :?: Thanks for looking. Hope you're all having a good week. HH.

Attachments

• DSC01548.jpg
    DSC01548.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 433
  • DSC01549.jpg
    DSC01549.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 399
  • DSC01550.JPG
    DSC01550.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 394
  • DSC01552.JPG
    DSC01552.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 390
  • DSC01553.JPG
    DSC01553.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 387
Nice find Pete. I use olive oil on some old Penny's
that I find,but it takes weeks.
Maybe someone will have a better idea on how to get that clean.

Pete - Please find a picture below of a button that was in similar condition to yours. I then cleaned it using a small wire brush, referred to in the UK as a shoe 'suede' brush. These are basically small brass bristled brushes used for scrubbing suede shoes. After using that, I then used a 'Brillo' pad to get it to shine. These pads are normally used in the kitchen for cleaning oven dishes and the like and they are basically a wire wool pad impregnated with a strong soap.

Army buttons are made of strong materials so will easily stand such cleaning methods.

Hope that helps.

RRPG

Attachments

• Button yank.JPG
    Button yank.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 377
boretti - This style of button was used extensively during WW1 and WW2 and was 'standard issue' to all arms of the US Army. The back of the button should have a manufacturer name on it which may pin it down to which era, and if you're really lucky may also have a date.

RRPG

Back
Top Bottom