Civil War General Service Button & 1749 Farthing

rcptuna

Elite Member
Went back to the cellar hole with high hopes with the heavy rains last night.
The sun was out with the morning dew and the wind was a welcome sound to keep them dam mosquitos at bay. The first hour I had not one signal. On the back side of the hole in an area of dead falls and briars I got a deep signal...and it sounded good. I was super careful digging and very happy to see sandy soil coming off my shovel. Finally out popped a 1749 King George Farthing...the condition was incredible. I only washed it off with water to clean.

Now I was pumped swinging away for another hour and picked up a button, cloaker and the shield(not sure what it is).The cloak button has a design that looks like bear paws and claws in a circular pattern. I also dug a large hunk of lead that has a colonial nail and glass all melted into it. Makes me wonder if the placed burned back in the day.

I started to branch way out away from the hole when the signals dried up. Over knoles, fire roads and pines I went. In the pines I dug numerus shotgun shells and pulltabs, and it was getting old. I was getting ready to pack it in and I headed back toward the car working this ridge when I get a signal. I was thinking another shotgun brass, but after I dug a nice plug out and still had a signal was hopeful. At about 8 inches out popped the button and the eagle was looking at me. My first civil war item and this is why I do this for the history...I was pumped. Spent another 2 hours after that but nothing but shotgun shells.

What a day...when I got home and confirmed it a civil war button..screw the happy dance...I was breakdancing!!!

Happy Hunting All!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• 030.jpg
    030.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 655
  • 031.jpg
    031.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 603
  • 032.jpg
    032.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 589
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 566
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 574
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 557
  • d.jpg
    d.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 540
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 511
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 541
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 517
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 504
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 523
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 507
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 525
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 564
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 530
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 499
Those are some great finds! Love the King George Farthing. It is in great shape! That's an awesome button too! Can you read the backmark? You also found some serious brass! I would have been in detecting heaven out there!

Nice Finds!
Doug

Beautiful KG! that shield thing is a saddle shield,horse related.i found a couple like yours.frank found two with a fleur de
lis whatever the french name is for the louisiana saints symbol on em so,check yours to see.looks like a scovill's backmark waterbury nice hunt!

I dug one of those shields with some scroll work on it. Nice finds!! What a sweet coin in great condition. Nice job!!

That coin looks amazing. Please don't clean it with anything else! Great job on digging a few goodies. Also, don't pitch that melted glob with the nail in it. That's a neat little conversational piece. Congrats on your hunt. Those are some really great finds.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

That Farthing from 1749 is great, but I am just thrilled to own my first civil war button. You just don't know what your holding in your hand was part of.
It's good fuel for the imagination and a great addition to the relic case.

Cheers!

Those are some great finds! Love the King George Farthing. It is in great shape! That's an awesome button too! Can you read the backmark? You also found some serious brass! I would have been in detecting heaven out there!

Nice Finds!
Doug

Thanks Doug...the back sais Scoville Waterbury.

Beautiful KG! that shield thing is a saddle shield,horse related.i found a couple like yours.frank found two with a fleur de
lis whatever the french name is for the louisiana saints symbol on em so,check yours to see.looks like a scovill's backmark waterbury nice hunt!

Wow a saddle shield. Was this just a name plate or did it serve another purpose. I cleaned and peered at it several times but no visible markings or designs. A new first for me.

Thanks for the I.D. Dave!!

That coin looks amazing. Please don't clean it with anything else! Great job on digging a few goodies. Also, don't pitch that melted glob with the nail in it. That's a neat little conversational piece. Congrats on your hunt. Those are some really great finds.

Thanks Mook! No I won't clean it anymore...I like the original out of the ground condition this one is in. I agree that glob is very interesting and had it out last night showing dinner guest. It makes a good back scratcher also LOL!

Back
Top Bottom