• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

civil war relics question

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
I am new to hunting civil war relics but have been using metal detectors in one form or another since 1988. Mostly I hunt parks and old home sites and the beach 2-3 times per year.

In a proven civil war battle area (not in any national parks but adjacent private or public property) how long do you hunt on the average before you find a civil war relic like a bullet?

I am hunting in areas of urban Atlanta where 100,000 federals fought 60,000 confederates for 3 days. This is a pretty intense battle field area.

I am using a nox 800 in field 1 with 50 tones. and civil war bullets ring up 17-18-19 so I can eliminate most ring pulls. I have test hunted the area and found it mostly free from trash for the simple reason not many people walk, hike, play or picnic in these two areas.

I have about 15 hours on the nox 800 and probably 200 - 300 on the AT Pro.

thanks for any input.

My home is located on a piece of land that was a campsite used by both sides and I began using a metal detector (AT Pro) in March of this year to find relics. Within the first few hour or so I found about four bullets. Since that time, I have found 81 bullets (some of which have been carved into game pieces), 20 eagle buttons (general service, infantry, and navy), a scabbard tip, about a pound of camp lead, several buckles, pocket knives, rivets, grommets, sections of knives and gun tools, a few rings, and several buckets of items that I have yet to identify.

The bullets on my AT Pro come in at between 63 and 72 and, when near iron, in the low 50s to 60s. Buttons are usually between 70 and 80.

Back
Top Bottom