Coin roll hunting questions? UPDATE=MY FIRST BOX TODAY!

HullGuitars

Forum Supporter
Mods please move if Im in the wrong spot.
I want to coin roll hunt just for fun. Was gunna buy around $1000 in halvs.... but didn't know where to get them? I have done well this year finding silver in my spare change. FOund 4 so far. But I want to find some halvs and dollar coins. I didn't know if the rolls at the bank were searched or if they kept that many halvs?

UPDATE

I stopped by the bank Tuesday and ordered a box of halves. Here is a few pics of the box. Have only searched 5 rolls with nothing but a bunch of bicentennials. Hopefully I can get at least one keeper out of the box. WE SHALL SEE!!! If not I will get another box or two.... as well as some pennies. Really enjoy finding wheats. I may get a box or two of dimes as well. Hopefully have some luck on silver there?

Attachments

• box of halves1.jpg
    box of halves1.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 218
  • box of halves 2.jpg
    box of halves 2.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
Have your bank or credit union order them for you. Another option is some have a customer's coin counter in the lobby. These are coins that come straight off the street. Buy these coins in bulk, by the bag.

Only one of my banks branches will do it. preorder first of week pay when they come in. some banks charge for this service. I've never found any silver this way but many have. good luck

Out of the ~16 branches that I've CRH'ed in my local area, I've only found one that will order half dollars for me by the box. So far, I'm 1 for 1 in hitting silver in my halves boxes.

Keep asking around and you might eventually come across a branch that's willing to help you out with getting a box.

I've never tried dollars, but I'm not sure if you'll find anything really worthwhile in there. There are a few huge money items but they're too rare to really justify hitting the dollars hard.

KT has not found any bank that stocks dollars in rolls, except those presidential ones...they always have a few new rolls around, not worth hunting for silver.

KT has his one bank that will order halves...told me they would have to charge unless I just order and let them be delivered when the rest of their coins are...every Thursday by Loomis. So He decided to order every Monday..after a few weeks of this...when KT forgot to order...the bank called Him and asked did you forget to order? HA HA Now KT has a standing order...only call them when His Majesty does NOT want to order. Works well.

KT dumps a different branch of the same bank that has a good fast coin machine....only one like it in the region, from what KT can tell. It's a real slot machine too, often paying a bit more than KT feeds it!

KT has read from many people all the hassles they have in finding a bank that will order, and the problems with some banks insisting that the coins all be rolled to be dumped. No such problem here....maybe KT has the exception, but He sure likes how it worked out for CRHing for Him!

Best of luck getting a good system going!

Have your bank or credit union order them for you. Another option is some have a customer's coin counter in the lobby. These are coins that come straight off the street. Buy these coins in bulk, by the bag.

My local banks coin counter machine rejects silver coins, so if you go this route, ask the bank if the machine rejects silver.

I asked about halves at my bank the other day and they said they had a "partial box".. $410 worth to be exact. I asked where they came from and they said they came in from a customer, it was a whole box when it was brought in, and they had sold or used some of the box. I asked if that customer comes in often with boxes of halves and they said yes he comes in about once every other week with a full box of halves. That was enough for me to quickly lose interest in the halves they had on hand. I'm 99% sure there's a CRH'er using that branch as a dump bank, and those halves must be picked through. If I decide to go halves, I'll see if they will order a box for me.

I've done two boxes of dimes. First box, nothing. 2nd box I spotted an edge with no copper sandwich. I got really excited and broke the roll (they were clear plastic rolls), just to find it was a Canadian dime. RATS!!! No silver dimes in $500 worth. I think I'm done with dimes.

I had the most fun hunting a box of quarters trying to complete my son's state quarter folder. We completed the folder and added a few national park quarters to the collection. We also found a silver state quarter from a proof set (S mint mark). That beat the heck out of the crummy dime boxes I've gone through!

I asked about halves at my bank the other day and they said they had a "partial box".. $410 worth to be exact. I asked where they came from and they said they came in from a customer, it was a whole box when it was brought in, and they had sold or used some of the box. I asked if that customer comes in often with boxes of halves and they said yes he comes in about once every other week with a full box of halves. That was enough for me to quickly lose interest in the halves they had on hand. I'm 99% sure there's a CRH'er using that branch as a dump bank, and those halves must be picked through. If I decide to go halves, I'll see if they will order a box for me.

I've done two boxes of dimes. First box, nothing. 2nd box I spotted an edge with no copper sandwich. I got really excited and broke the roll (they were clear plastic rolls), just to find it was a Canadian dime. RATS!!! No silver dimes in $500 worth. I think I'm done with dimes.

I had the most fun hunting a box of quarters trying to complete my son's state quarter folder. We completed the folder and added a few national park quarters to the collection. We also found a silver state quarter from a proof set (S mint mark). That beat the heck out of the crummy dime boxes I've gone through!

That $410 definitely sounds like a CRH dump. So few banks in my area carry any halves at all. They stopped ordering them. I don't bother with any other denominations either.

Just ordered my first box of halves!!! Very excited to get it! It should be in Friday so we will see! Will keep you posted. Really hope it comes on Friday because I'm leaving to go back home on Saturday. Kind of neat my first CRH experiences is out of town!

This is where you'll go wrong. Dimes are pretty much a guaranteed silver hit over the long haul. Here are my results since April and I doubt there's a legitimate reason that you're not finding the silver in there.

You can't get discouraged from pulling a few bad boxes!

Attachments

• Dimes.PNG
    Dimes.PNG
    3.8 KB · Views: 225
I concur GoldenEagle, I hunt dimes almost exclusively these days and have done very well in just a short time. First two boxes were skunks but now my count is up to 14 silver rosies.

KT can concur on someone bringing a box of halves in, although here is what is strange...they are unopened boxes...never been hunted by whoever dumped them...but they were both barren of silver, tho a few interesting NIFCs and one off center obverse strike were in one of these boxes! So if they somehow figured out how to hunt the boxes for silver without opening them, KT wants to know how they did it! :shock::shock:

KT can concur on someone bringing a box of halves in, although here is what is strange...they are unopened boxes...never been hunted by whoever dumped them...but they were both barren of silver, tho a few interesting NIFCs and one off center obverse strike were in one of these boxes! So if they somehow figured out how to hunt the boxes for silver without opening them, KT wants to know how they did it! :shock::shock:
They scanned the box with their high-end detector, set to discriminate clad coinage.:cool:

Back
Top Bottom