This weekend's river finds with one unusual bullet

The Wolf

Elite Member
Got back out on the river yesterday with the CZ21 and the AT Pro. Scored a bunch of CW lead. 17 bullets in all, a percussion cap, and what I think is a piece of a period knife. Got a couple cavalry bullets; a Sharps and a Colt pistol. Also got a Washington Arsenal "star base", a few really pointy, and some smaller caliber minnie balls, a .69 musket ball, and a really strange round nose 3-ringer. It looks like #375 in my bullet book, which says it's a CS rifle or rifle musket bullet. Here's a pic of it next to a regular .58 Minnie. This is the first one I've ever seen and CS relics are few and far between around the area. No buttons or shiny brass this weekend, but I'll take the bullets any day! Also got a mashed up ration can and some horse tack still retaining the leather. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• IMG_1241.jpg
    IMG_1241.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 540
  • IMG_1244.JPG
    IMG_1244.JPG
    188 KB · Views: 623
  • IMG_1246.jpg
    IMG_1246.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 467
  • IMG_1247.jpg
    IMG_1247.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 486
  • IMG_1238.jpg
    IMG_1238.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 614
  • IMG_1248.jpg
    IMG_1248.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 560
  • IMG_1242.jpg
    IMG_1242.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 500
Thanks guys! I'd like to find out some more info on this bullet. Has anyone seen these before?

.577 cal, same length as a regular Minnie with a conical base. But the rings are flat.

Oh, I have one I've been trying to figure out too. It appears to have had a round nose like yours but it has been dropped and it is flattened a little on the end and out of roundness a little. It measures from a little over .50 cal to a tad over .51 on the other side. It's short like a sharps about 3/4 of an inch tall with a solid base with no markings. These rings are flat also.

I don't have a bullet book anymore I loaned the one I had out to someone and never got it back.

Oh, I have one I've been trying to figure out too. It appears to have had a round nose like yours but it has been dropped and it is flattened a little on the end and out of roundness a little. It measures from a little over .50 cal to a tad over .51 on the other side. It's short like a sharps about 3/4 of an inch tall with a solid base with no markings. These rings are flat also.

I don't have a bullet book anymore I loaned the one I had out to someone and never got it back.

Here is a decent bullet ID online version. Hope this helps!
http://www.baymediapro.com/collection/bullet_search.asp

Wolf, It kindof looks like a Linder Carbine. I have found a a few of them. The bottom ring may be the difference tho! Linder's are .577 as well.

Attachments

• user17688_pic31939_1329225401.jpg
    user17688_pic31939_1329225401.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 342
Yeah the bottom on this one is different. It's got a regular cavity, not solid like yours. Those are cool bullets, and pretty rare if I remember correctly. I'll add a pic of the base when I get home tonight.

Back
Top Bottom