Belgian battlefields

ThomasEurope

Hi there guys,

Here are some of my WW2 finds made in the northeren part of Belgium. When Americans think WW2 & Belgium they often think 'the Bulge'. However there are other parts in Belgium where they had some serious fights.

I'm 'lucky' to live between these places. One of those places is called 'Ten Aard' and this is a place where I do almost all my finds.
More info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Geel

We're the only guys that have permission from the farmers and owners to look for battle relics there.
Detecting in Ten Aard is VERY dangerous because there is still a lot of live ammo in the ground. I ask everyone to please be carefull with these things and allways call the police when you find ammo.
Here is a small overview from my personal finds so far all close to the village of 'Ten Aard':

p4pb9410156.jpg

p4pb9410154.jpg

p4pb9410152.jpg

Stuff can get pretty deep here:

p4pb9393810.jpg

p4pb9282262.jpg

p4pb9282259.jpg

p4pb9148571.jpg

p4pb9093963.jpg

p4pb9148582.jpg

p4pb9089183.jpg

p4pb9079693.jpg

p4pb9070246.jpg

p4pb9062138.jpg

p4pb9062121.jpg

p4pb9062108.jpg

p4pb9061877.jpg

p4pb9061865.jpg

p4pb9028496.jpg

WOW! Old live ammo that big sure is dangerous! Love the pic's. Do you know what the German medals are for?

WOW! Old live ammo that big sure is dangerous! Love the pic's. Do you know what the German medals are for?

Hey !
They are not realy medals, they are a type of badge that were sold to soldiers and civilians. The money was used to help the 'Winterhilfswerk', so it was a 3th reich 'charity'.
For more info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winterhilfswerk

The cool thing is that they are VERY rare to find while metal detecting because they are made from some sort of early plastic. I found them in a German trash hole (all 4 of them). I gave the yellow and the blue one to a local 'museum' because I think it's important that we can share these finds with the community.

I

Those are some great finds. The Nazi medals, the plate, and the US fork are awesome.

Those are awesome finds!!! I had hoped the new "War Relic" forum would make some of these WWI/WWII threads get more attention. Thanks so much for posting!! I'd love to go on a hunt like that sometime, with someone who knows what they're doing in regards to the ordinance that is.

About that plate:

I found the US fork in the same pit as the plate. However; I found both things on a German FLAK site. Is this plate American? Or maybe a early version of the well known 'mestin'.

Hey !
They are not realy medals, they are a type of badge that were sold to soldiers and civilians. The money was used to help the 'Winterhilfswerk', so it was a 3th reich 'charity'.
For more info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winterhilfswerk

The cool thing is that they are VERY rare to find while metal detecting because they are made from some sort of early plastic. I found them in a German trash hole (all 4 of them). I gave the yellow and the blue one to a local 'museum' because I think it's important that we can share these finds with the community.

I

Thanks for the history lesson! :yes: I'm never seen them before so I had a feeling that they were rare. WTG! :yes:

WOW!!! those finds are very cool!!! What do you do with the mines and other explosives? Do the local authorities dispose of them for you? From my time in the Army, let me say be VERY careful, especially with mines, Have you ever found any helmets?

Sweet finds. Lots of history came out of those holes. Looks like you got a little bit of everything there. Happy hunting!

WOW!!! those finds are very cool!!! What do you do with the mines and other explosives? Do the local authorities dispose of them for you? From my time in the Army, let me say be VERY careful, especially with mines, Have you ever found any helmets?

Hey,

We have good connections with local authorities and once in a month we give them a call and they pick everything up or blow it up when stuff's to dangerous. Got a cool pick from one of the explosions:

p4pb9410073.jpg

I did not find any helmet yet, however my friend did. He's a older man that does the hobby for over 20 years and he's teaching me all the tricks. Will post some pics of his finds to they're crazy.

A couple of questions for you!

ThomasEurope- I am living in SW Germany am very interested in hunting for WWI and WWII relics here and maybe SE Belguim. Do you have any advice as to where to hunt and where to avoid ( such as protected vs un-protected areas) I want to be respectful of lands and laws, but have good hunts. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Also, I am not sure if this ia appropriate here, but for this type of hunting Which MD would you suggest between the F2, Ace 250 and the Eurotek Pro? thank you.

Back
Top Bottom