Can't figure out the halves

CX2K

Just went through my 3rd box of half dollars and got skunked again. $1500 worth of halves over the past couple months and not even a single 40% silver.

Meanwhile, I wandered into a random bank and asked for halves. One teller had 3 and I got them. Nabbed a 1967 Kennedy in the bunch. Go figure.

Anyone have any theories? Is it my bank? I would think all boxes come from the same place regardless of bank, no? Or does Chase just have bad luck (for me)?

Thoughts?

Thanks,
John

Boxes generally produce 0-5 keepers. More often than not you'll get one or no keepers. I usually only get customer wrapped rolls because those usually have silver.

Have you tried a bank that will sell you a bag off there coin sorting machine?.They sometimes produce better then boxes.Otherwise just keep on the boxes and you will get silver sooner or later ,I know it's a pain to get all skunks so far but believe me if you keep at it.Your dream box will come.also Stealer is right mix in some customer rolls they produce also,unless your getting some elses dumps.

Have you tried a bank that will sell you a bag off there coin sorting machine?.They sometimes produce better then boxes.Otherwise just keep on the boxes and you will get silver sooner or later ,I know it's a pain to get all skunks so far but believe me if you keep at it.Your dream box will come.also Stealer is right mix in some customer rolls they produce also,unless your getting some elses dumps.

I thought the same thing but TD bank is the only one around here with a coin machine and they won't sell you the bags. They claim they send them back to HQ for processing or something.

Shame. I'd love to have a job as a TD Penny Arcade attendant. :)

John

John,

Like mentioned above, ask for the customer wrapped halves. These are where the silver coins hide! I got one the other day and nabbed 2 40%ers out of it, and the other day, only got one roll and found a 52 90% Benjamin, and a 40% in that roll as well...guess I'm lucky! Hope this helps,

NC

the coin roll hunting craze has been going on now for several years. i would think the finds would be few and far between by now.

Have never tried coin roll hunting, but do small town banks produce better results..I would think they would..:roll:..Good luck on your hunt.

Have never tried coin roll hunting, but do small town banks produce better results..I would think they would..:roll:..Good luck on your hunt.

Small out of the way towns do produce good.But tend to dry up fast.Some banks I stop by weekly,some once a month.It all depends,give it a try worse case is you waste some time but at least you won't loose any $$

I had good luck this week with $500 worth of halves from a small town bank. Got 24- 40%. Hoping to try a few more next week.

It's possible that at the bank you tried, one of the tellers collects them. That would explain the total lack of silver... At my bank, when I made my first inquiry about silver, the head teller didn't know which dates were silver or how to tell the difference between silver and clad! (One of the other tellers said they bought them when they see them, though.)

You just made me think of something funny. My mother has been a bank teller for about 20 years. For all that time, she would always keep an eye on any silver. I've got baggies of dimes and quarters from before 1964. ;) That might be where your silvers are going! haha

I have searched rolls and rolls of halves (thousands of dollars) and never found a single silver half. Just bad luck, since I know others who have hit jackpots. I gave up.... maybe try again soon. RickO

Thanks everyone for the tips!

I'll see if I can track down some customer rolled halves.

Good Hunting to all,
John

Back
Top Bottom