Cash Register Coin Roll Hunting! Finds so far in 2010!

scrible

I am a 21 year old college student, political science major, and work as a bottom of the bucket manager for one of the nation's largest automotive parts retailers. I work about 25 hours a week and handle a ton of cash. I have started searching each and every roll of coins I open, as well as the coin trays whenever I get the chance. If I see something I like, I pull the equal amount out of my pocket or car and swap a dime for a dime, a penny for a penny, etc...

Here are my finds since late December 2009 when I first started this hobby. I think my favorite find so far was the Mercury dime, what a beautiful coin! I have been fighting the urge to begin buying boxed coins at my bank. Hunting coin rolls is addicting.

Here's a quick run down of my finds so far:

3 buffalo's, no date, 1920, and 1936
2 silver war nickels
1 1963 Rosie
1 1935 Merc
1 1941 Washington
1 1967 40% half (with a real nice scratch on the obverse)
1 beautiful (looks uncirculated) 1974 penny
40 wheaties, oldest being a 1910 (no key dates, mostly 40's and 50's)

I have also collected ten crisp two dollar bills that a customer payed with, and a pretty nice 1985 ten dollar. I don't know why though, I just like 'em.

This is addicting!

CashRegisterresized.jpg

Nice finds. I'm impressed with the Buffs. I've been through a lot of nickels, and have found only one. I feel the same as you about the Merc. I saw the reverse side of mine first, turned it over and said "Hello Beautiful". Keep us updated on your growing collection. HH

Do you guys feel that keeping the 1974 penny is worthwhile, or should I throw it in my jar of clad? It is difficult to tell from the scan, but this thing is beautiful, nearly flawless with a ton of luster.

Do you guys feel that keeping the 1974 penny is worthwhile, or should I throw it in my jar of clad? It is difficult to tell from the scan, but this thing is beautiful, nearly flawless with a ton of luster.

You decide if it is worth it, after you consider this......I put away the nicest pennies I got 40 years ago, most came from bank rolls, I dropped them in this quart jar. Look at the pictures and decide if it was worth spending about $12 to do this?

Attachments

• IMG_0107.jpg
    IMG_0107.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 554
  • IMG_0100.jpg
    IMG_0100.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 653
  • IMG_0106.jpg
    IMG_0106.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 592
That is a nice collection of good looking cents. So from what I gather, you suggest any nice looking cents I find should go in a jar? That's a great idea.

I couldnt do that where I used to work. I worked at a hy-vee and the management were some of the most whip-cracking-est bunch I've ever seen. Basicly if you were not doing something that was productive, they would jump your a$$ about it.

They hated if if you leaned agaisnt the counter when no one was in line.

I got told out because I was bagging and I saw a new product and looked at it for 3 seconds at the most. Seriously, I dont think someone is going to care if they stand for 3 more seconds.

They thought when its time to punch out and their is a spill/mess you should clean it up. Thats for the next shift do, I dont work for free.
They hated people punching in 1-2 mins early, everyone would stand in a big line and the 1st person would punch in at the 1st second, and alot of times the last guy would be 1-2 minutes late. They hated if you were 2-3 minutes late, I think the store can run without me.
Got fired because I took 5 minutes longer on my lunch break, guess they think your time standing is part of your break. Got 15 minutes to eat and most of the time I had to shovel it in and leave because after I got done in line I had about 10 minutes to eat.

I couldnt do that where I used to work. I worked at a hy-vee and the management were some of the most whip-cracking-est bunch I've ever seen. Basicly if you were not doing something that was productive, they would jump your a$$ about it.

They hated if if you leaned agaisnt the counter when no one was in line.

I got told out because I was bagging and I saw a new product and looked at it for 3 seconds at the most. Seriously, I dont think someone is going to care if they stand for 3 more seconds.

They thought when its time to punch out and their is a spill/mess you should clean it up. Thats for the next shift do, I dont work for free.
They hated people punching in 1-2 mins early, everyone would stand in a big line and the 1st person would punch in at the 1st second, and alot of times the last guy would be 1-2 minutes late. They hated if you were 2-3 minutes late, I think the store can run without me.
Got fired because I took 5 minutes longer on my lunch break, guess they think your time standing is part of your break. Got 15 minutes to eat and most of the time I had to shovel it in and leave because after I got done in line I had about 10 minutes to eat.

Luckily my employer is great. If we look at a product for a minute or two, that's a good thing. Part of what some may call our "code of honor" is having a working knowledge of our products.

The only store level member of management above me is the store manager, and he is a great guy who will lean on the counter and chit chat along with everyone else on occasion. Some days are more productive than others. I guess he thinks there are more important things in life to worry about. If little things like collecting wheat pennies and snacking on pizza in the office after a long few hours putting up inventory improves employee retention, I see nothing wrong with it.

My job isn't great. Some days are better than others just like anywhere else. I do not plan on staying with the company as a career, which is why I am a full time college student. I'm going on four years with the company though, so obviously it isn't a job I despise!

I went to the bank to get a couple rolls of half dollars, I ended up with a roll of 40% silver, So i had to go back i got what they had about $100 bucks and ended up with close to $70 bucks of 40% silver fro 1965 to 1969, only about 5 1964s and 2 Franklin Half dollars. Now i have all of these, had to bite the $70 bucks away. They just sit in a box. I guess i could get a buck for each one but whats the point i guess im a hoarder. I did the same thing with Eisenhower Dollars which have no value at all..

Back
Top Bottom