First batch of Nickels

Jeepfreak81

So I picked up $10 in Nickles this weekend and ended up keeping $1.25 worth. Most of them were just to fill my Littleton folder, but I had 3 that were older than my folder, a 1946, a 1953, and a 1960. Aside from that, nothing too exciting, no buffs. Maybe next time, still a good batch to help fill up my folder.

I used to edge-hunt nickels. I was only after war nickels, and they were slightly darker. I could search three boxes in about 20 minutes.

I also kept the 1946-1958, but dumped at least a few thousand after I cherry-picked to fill my folders.

I used to edge-hunt nickels. I was only after war nickels, and they were slightly darker. I could search three boxes in about 20 minutes.

I also kept the 1946-1958, but dumped at least a few thousand after I cherry-picked to fill my folders.

Once I have my folders full I'll just be looking for war nickles and buffs, I didn't realize the 42-45 nickels are darker on the sides, I'll have to watch for that. Could save me quite a bit of time down the road. At this point I'm only searching 4 or 5 rolls at a time so it's not too bad anyway.

Once I have my folders full I'll just be looking for war nickles and buffs, I didn't realize the 42-45 nickels are darker on the sides, I'll have to watch for that. Could save me quite a bit of time down the road. At this point I'm only searching 4 or 5 rolls at a time so it's not too bad anyway.

I understand that most War Nickels are darker than normal clad Nickels, but the last one I found I couldn't even tell the difference in shade to a normal Nickel. :my2cents: I just wanted to put that out for you. :grin:

Happy Hunting! :D

Some of the key dates were fun to find too. The only one I never did find was the 1950-D.

I need to get together a good list of "key dates". Despite having worked at the Littleton Coin Company after high school and having collected coins of and on for years, I'm not very organized about values or rarity. I just fill my folders and keep anything I deem to be cool or old. :lol:

Not a good idea to edge hunt. You would be surpised but there are quite a few decent looking non-black war nickels out there. Quite a few of my war nickel finds have been xf+. Just my two cents.

Not a good idea to edge hunt. You would be surpised but there are quite a few decent looking non-black war nickels out there. Quite a few of my war nickel finds have been xf+. Just my two cents.
Thanks. Not black nickels, some just a slight tone off normal. I don't keep any other nickels such as 1940 on up except for the war years, and it took too long looking at dates. After doing dozens of boxes (and dates), I found I wasn't missing any.

Back
Top Bottom